Cockeral? Pullet? Breed? (better pics added, post #16)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bex, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Bex

Bex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    This is Tator. [​IMG] He (??) is my baby. He's sooo sweet. We got him from a lady when we picked up 6 Muscovy ducklings. She didn't know his breed or gender (she thought pullet), I simply picked him cause he was addorible, lol.

He was fully feathered when we got him about a week ago, and I guessed his age at maybe 8 weeks? I don't know, he could be older. He's still inside at any rate. He helps me do the dishes.. rides on my shoulder, searched BYC with me.. Etc.. [​IMG]

These are sucky pictures taken on the cell. If you need better pics I can get them tomorrow once I get batteries for the camera.

he does have a little comb, and he has these little pointy nubs on his legs above his feet (I thought maybe spurs??) but they have not grown and are barely noticeable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  2. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    What a beak on the little thing! It looks like it could be a red sex link roo, but I'm not an expert on indentifying breeds so I may be wrong.

The nubs are spur nubs, but almost all chickens get them, even hens. They should not be used to sex chickens.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    That buff color throws me...maybe a golden comet??

4. Bex

Bex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    I have always thought his beak was a little long.. But I didn't know if that was normal or not..?

Thanks for the info on the spur nubs. [​IMG] Maybe "he" will be a pullet after all; which is what we really wanted! "his" comb is very tiny - I'm not sure if you can see it in that picture.

Also, I don't know if you can see it, but the feathers on his head and on his chest are a bit of a darker red than the rest of him. They get darker on the edges.. Kind of like a laced pattern.

5. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Yeah, his beak just doesn't look "normal." My best guess is a red sex-link roo. (golden comet is one of the names.) The red sex-link roos are mostly white with a tiny bit of red on them, which fits yours. I don't know of any other breeds that are white with a little red like that, but there may be more.

Combs are not so accurate on some breeds, so don't get your hopes up based on that.

6. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Hi, The long beak almost looks like my black tailed japanese bantam. Her beak is long and pointy like that.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Looks like a good old fashioned EE to me! He has the same comb as a Wyandotte, so I know he's not a sex-link.

8. wohneli

wohneli Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    Looks like my blondie EE except for that beak.

9. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    You know? The longer I look at this thing...the more I'm seeing bantam in it.

I'm betting the long beak is because she wasn't allowed to roam on the ground and naturally wear it down. It was probably on litter, or on a cage floor which kept it from wearing it down.

10. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I agree, such a long beak and curved. Are his legs white? BO crossed with long-beaked stranger? See any hackle feathers on him?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by