Cockeral with a strange spinal/blindness problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kovalciks Chickens, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Kovalciks Chickens

Kovalciks Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, Michigan
    I have a Jap cockeral that is 6 months old. Last week I noticed that he became blind in his left eye. This caused him to look up with his right causing him to crain his neck. Now when he tries to do this he twists his neck so far he falls over backwards. I do not know what to do. I am tempted to remove him from the flock. I dont want it to be a spinal disease or something that can hurt my others. Please comment.

2. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    i would seperate him for sure.i cant give you any more advice but heres a bump and ill cross my fingers..[​IMG]

3. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a couple of birds with blindness in one eye, they don't crane thier necks in any unusual way. I think it is an illness or injury causing the problem. I would isolate him from the flock.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The condition is called limber neck, wry neck, crook neck, stargazing and maybe a few more. All named after the symptom, not a specific condition. It is not related to the blindness at all. It is unlikely to be an illness; more likely related to an injury, a toxin or nutritional deficiency. Provide extra vitamins, separate to keep the bird from being picked upon, metacam, prednisone or celebrix to relieve swelling.

5. MamaHen46

MamaHen46 New Egg

Jan 26, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hi,

After at least 5 or 6 years, one of my hens just started doing this today. She seems to be blind in her left eye, and crooks her neck way around to see her surroundings. I wondered if it could have come from an injury, though her eye appears normal. I'm really worried about her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by