Cockeral without spurs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jomomma, Oct 26, 2014.

1. jomomma

jomomma Out Of The Brooder

On April 2nd of this year, I purchased 6 EE pullets from the local feed store as day olds. At about 12 weeks it was becoming obvious that Petunia was developing a very bright comb and some saddle feathers. A few weeks later he started crowing and attempting to mount his brood mates. He has not developed spurs at all. The other five ladies are now all laying.

An old chicken keeper from back in the day told me that if he was sexed as a pullet, and developed as a roo without spurs he is probably sterile.

Any feedback on this? Old wives tale or some basis in reality?

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Sexing is not 100% accurate, there will always be a few 'oopsies'

Another possibilty- chicks got mixed up at the feed store- including completely different breeds. This happens a LOT.

Are you sure this bird does not have spurs? Spurs don't grow out very fast. Could still just be a large 'button' on his legs at this stage.

I;m not sure if I actually read something about spurless in chickens, so can't tell you if such a thing exists or not. Highly doubt spurless= sterile but then no actual information so can't tell either way.

3. jomomma

Thank you for your reply. The feed store in question only sold pullets in April, no straight run. They had EE's and Buff Orpintons and RIR's in separate bins. The EE's were the only bin with varied colored chicks, as one would expect.
    I understand one may have been erroneously sorted at the hatchery but this is clearly a Roo and has no spurs. My question is more to do with his fertility, as he is a pretty rooster and calm, and I would let him breed my older EE's in the spring for more genetic diversity. Pictures to follow shortly.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Old wives tale.

5. jomomma

This is Pete:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    I don't have a clue on the spur thing but, if you let them mate and one of your hens goes broody and hatches chicks you will know for sure! I got my girls + one ? , leaning towards it being a roo more and more, at a hatchery, this is the first time I have ever got one in question. But this is the first time I have ever mixed my flock too. I usually get all the same breed. This time I got 5 different breeds, 2 Black Australorpes. One of the BA's looks like a roo, and does not have any spurs. But has beautiful rooster looking tail. And is much larger than his sister. They are all 14 weeks old and he still hasn't crowed yet. But if that is not an old wifes tail I have thought about getting rid of him, I don't want any roosters. I might keep him if he can't reproduce. Glad I read your post sorry I wasn't much help. I am going to go research this subject. I will check back if I have any reliable info. on the subject.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Have you checked any of the eggs you've been collecting for a bullseye on the germinal disc?

8. jomomma

I have two other roosters, an older EE., Reuben and a Spangled Hamburg/RIR cross, Andre, I am sure the eggs are fertile by someone.
    The cross was hatched here under my broody hen ( I acquired some fertile eggs from a friend), the hen cannibalized all the chicks she hatched so I saved this one from her. He was growing spurs and had a very red comb at about 11 weeks.
    The older EE rooster had spurs around 25 weeks. I acquired him at 18 weeks.

Pete is nearly 30 weeks and there is no sign of a spur.

9. jomomma

Andre, Spangled Hamburg/RIR cross

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reuben, EE roo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by