1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cockeral

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by philnj, Sep 18, 2016.

1. philnj

philnj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Townsend, DE
    Hi all
    Relocated to Delaware started over with a batch of "pullets" but one turned out to be a cockerel which is ok as we are on 4 acres and a neighbor already has a rooster.
    My guy at 10 ish weeks started crowing a bit not a full blown crow but def confirmed he's a he. I new he was a he based on tail feathers etc. he would crow some again not a full blown crow every day for a few weeks. Haven't heard a peep from him is a few days he looks perfect not sick etc. what gives?
    Probably shouldn't complain!
    Phil

2. philnj

Jun 2, 2014
    Townsend, DE
    BTW he's an Easter egger

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    He's still young. Once he commands the flock and is mating you'll hear him every morning at the least. If a noisy one you'll hear him all day non stop.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Soon enough, you will wish you never worried about it at all.....lol!

A Rooster will act like a Rooster...

Cheers!

5. philnj

Jun 2, 2014
    Townsend, DE
    Update on the silent cockerel
    My neighbor who had a roster that crowed all day long has been relocated I thought maybe that's why my guy has been quiet
    He has been gone over a week and my guy still nothing! He is 5 plus months old definitely a cockerel crowed early on nothing since. Thoughts?

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    He's still a bit immature maybe, or has nothing to prove...is he trying to mount the (how many) pullets?

7. philnj

Jun 2, 2014
    Townsend, DE
    He did a few weeks ago haven't noticed recently
    13 pullets plus him

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Usually cockerels are pretty assertive with trying to mate pullets that are not ready to be mated as they sexually mature later than their male hatch mates.
    It's hard to miss with a lot of chasing around, grabbing of neck feathers, and pullets screaming.
    Maybe he has low testosterone.....or just slower to mature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by