1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cockerals Crowing in the dark.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Casper417, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Casper417

Casper417 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    Staffordshire
    I have 2 silkie cockerals and 1 brahma cockeral. They start crowing at 5 in the morning even though its winter and still pitch black at that time. The two silkies arnt too bad as their crow isnt that loud but the brahma is loud and waking family up. is their any way of stopping him crowing at 5. Thank you.

2. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    That's normal for them to crow at that hour.

3. Casper417

Casper417 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    Staffordshire
    So they crow in the dark too

4. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Yes they do. I live in Florida and any given time you go outside, night and day, there are roosters crowing. Then the competition starts. One does it then mine do it then another one and so on.

5. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    5am may seem like the middle of the night to you but you didn't go to bed at 6 last night. for him it's morning. Wait till summer when the sun comes up earlier. But don't worry by summer you'll be used to it and won't even notice his crowing. kind of like people who live near trains.

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Mine crow in the dark too!! They are even locked in their coops and they still crow. I don't open up untill it starts breaking daylight. I have two as well and I believe it does turn into a competition with them. Thankfully I have good neighbours.

7. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    mine sometimes crow at midnight! probably because they see some light (a car passing by...) and my brahma cockerel is the quiet one, so you can imagine the sound of the other one. thank god for good neighbors. then they crow again just after 4 am.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by