Cockerel’s feathers getting shorter- why??

leighks

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 15, 2017
Western New York
My Coop
My Coop
So here is a pic of my 10 month old cockerel from about 2 weeks ago. Notice his long blonde neck feathers and the scallop type feathers on his chest, he looked great:
47156169-6E6C-4A03-B2E3-618375F02DEE.png
Yesterday I noticed his neck feathers looked rumpled, and on closer inspection I found the long neck feathers were about 2/3 shorter and the feathers on his chest are worn down so you can hardly see the pattern anymore:
0ADE0238-9ACD-406B-8B3A-CFAFE81CD403.jpeg
552AC19D-6074-4D80-AC6C-D9F050CD9206.jpeg
B7FABD88-6646-466E-A373-D4F872A596FF.jpeg
Anyone have any guesses as to why? Do they rub the feathers off from repeatedly mating? He’s not missing feathers, there’s no bald spots, and the skin under looks fine. When I looked closely it looks like the feathers were cut short or broken off. Maybe I’m just not observant, but it seemed to happen over just a few days. He’s eating/ drinking/ crowing/ acting fine.

The only other thing I noticed when I did a physical exam on him today was about a half inch under his vent opening the skin was red and had a few feathers broken off close to the skin- I figured that was from frequent makings though.

Any thoughts as to the cause? His feathers were so handsome, now they are receding lol.

It could possibly be the hens. I’m not finding the feathers, so maybe they are eating them? Due to all the snow and cold they have been in their coop and run for the last 2 months, so if the feathers were laying around I would have found them. No evidence of mites on him or the hens, and the skin looks good. It’s just weird because I just noticed it and by then a good number of feathers had been affected.

Yeah, I've actually seen my girls pick feathers off our rooster and eat them like popcorn. The best way to combat the tendency is to provide more protein, like mealworms, and hope that they are eating feathers for protein, not because they like the taste.:sick

What is the size of your coop and run? Exact measurements? How many birds?

The first thought I have is that you have mice getting into your coop at night and harvesting feathers to line their nests. Yes, this does happen, and there have actually been videos posted that show it happening.

The next thought is that you have some feather eating going on. This is usually due to lack of nutrition: either your feed is old or the protein content is too low, or you are giving too many snacks. Feather picking can also be due to crowding or overheating. You are not using a heat lamp or any other supplemental heat in your coop are you?

What is the size of your coop and run? Exact measurements? How many birds?

The first thought I have is that you have mice getting into your coop at night and harvesting feathers to line their nests. Yes, this does happen, and there have actually been videos posted that show it happening.

The next thought is that you have some feather eating going on. This is usually due to lack of nutrition: either your feed is old or the protein content is too low, or you are giving too many snacks. Feather picking can also be due to crowding or overheating. You are not using a heat lamp or any other supplemental heat in your coop are you?
There are 6 chickens. The coop (a converted outbuilding) is huge, about 10’x10’. The run is about 12’x8’. The winter has been snowy and cold, no one has left the run in at least 2 months. They may be bored but definitely not crowded.

I have seen mice this winter, so that is possible. The rooster usually sleeps between hens, and I haven’t noticed any feather damage on them.

As far as food, I read many posts on here and asked others about food for that hens/ roos can share. They all eat starter/grower free choice with calcium in a separate bowl for the hens. They get a handful of scratch/ cracked corn/ oatmeal before going to bed, and a little fresh fruit or veggies daily.

I have used supplemental heat when it’s below freezing with 2 radiant heat panels. They don’t heat the whole coop, just warms up the immediate area where they roost at night. They don’t get too hot, you can touch them when they are on (they are also zero clearance, meaning they won’t start a fire if they tough combustible material).

All of the suggestions are helpful and leave me with some detective work to do. I will add more protein with mealworms, and I just bought some mice repellent- it’s a non toxic product that uses peppermint and another oil (don’t have the package handy to check) and as soon as the snow is gone I can find and seal up wherever the rodents are getting in. I don’t want to use poison in case the chickens find and eat the poisoned mouse, so I’m hoping this product works.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom