Cockerel among laying chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Walisfarm, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Walisfarm

Walisfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    Nigeria
    My chickens have just started laying this week, and among them are three cockerel, can they cause any problem to the chicks? Do I separate them from the flock? Help please!! Thanks remain blessed.

2. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

This depends on many factors:

1) how many hens do you have total?
    2) Do you free range your birds? How much room do they have in their enclosure?
    3) Do you want fertilized eggs?

3. Walisfarm

Nov 4, 2013
    Nigeria
    Thanks so much, the chicks are just 90, I do not free range, also I get only one big coop for them, and i am not interested in fertilized eggs. What should be advisible? To separate or leave them? Dont get tire with my questions pls. Thanks

4. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Personally if it were me; and I only wanted laying hens, I would probably butcher the roosters. They shouldn't harm the hens but they really aren't needed and so could be a nuisance.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I would also get rid of him. Eat him or sell him, give him away, whatever. You don't want to just have him live by himself, IMO that's crueler than a humane death and being eaten.

There's no problem with having roosters in with layers, but there's also no reason to if you only want hens. No need to keep an Oops rooster and feed him for years--that money could go toward feeding a productive hen instead.

6. Walisfarm

Nov 4, 2013
    Nigeria
    Thanks so much to all, satisfactory suggestions really appreciated! I will just do away with them instead. Because I learned beside the noise they make, they also eat far more than the chicks do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by