1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cockerel ate my earing!!!!...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gumbii, Nov 4, 2010.

1. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    okay, i raised these two silver sebright bantams from chicks... so i was out making another coop because my addiction is pretty much full blown aids right now... so as i'm stapling the chicken wire to the coop doors, they were on my shoulders... they're still young, but everywhere i go they go too... LOL...

so as he was on my shoulder, i turned to look at him, and he pulled my lip ring off my top lip and quickly swallowed it... as soon as i realized what he did i did this...

[​IMG]OMGOMGOMGOGMOGMOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG...[​IMG]

i didn't want to crush the poor baby, but omg, i didn't want him to digest it... aaaahahahha... so i felt his neck and to see if it was stuck or anything, but nope, it was inside him somewhere...

my question is... will he be okay... it's stainless steel, with a bead, and shaped like... um... it's like the one in the picture without the ball at the end... so it's just one ball, and the stick... like a stud...

[​IMG]

so... what do i do...? should i [​IMG] or just wait until it comes out the other end...? lol...

thanks in advance...

2. chiclet

chiclet Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    alexandria
    my hen did the same thing, with my earring. It's been a few months now, so i guess she's fine.
    but she still eyes my earrings when she's on my shoulders. i try to keep my ears covered....[​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Might not come out the other end. Just may stay in the gizzard until it is ground up. I think he'll be fine, and you'll need to buy another stud.

Imp

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  4. shepherd

shepherd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    He will be fine my chickens have ate anything from aluminum to pices of glass.
    They all end up in the chickens gizzards, the organ that crushes the food in their digestive track. The only way you can get it back is if you butchure him. Or you just leave him alone and get it back a few years later when he dies of old age.
    That would be a neat story.

And stainless steel wont really grind up so its not going anywhere.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  5. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    oh man... i looked in my box of studs, and i found another one same size, but i just need to shorten it down... no biggie...

now i feel bad for him... he's gonna have that in his insides all his life... aww... now i have to be more careful with them around my face jewelry... LOL... i have lots of it...

thanks for they responses guys... ♥♥♥♥♥'s...

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm guessing it will work itself out in the end.

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    One of my hens pulled out my diamond earring a while back...thank goodness it fell onto my lap and I was able to grab it!

8. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think I would be performing a surgical removal and find out just where that nasty little cockerel is hiding that earring! Check the girls and see if they are wearing any new jewlery [​IMG] On the serious side, I think he is going to be just fine. [​IMG]

9. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    that's what i get for spoiling these birds way too much....

¿amirite...?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by