Cockerel Behaviour

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by skullgrrrl, Nov 22, 2016.

1. skullgrrrl

skullgrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    I came home tonight to find about half my flock of 30 had missed the automatic coop door closing. I started rustling them toward the coop and my 6 month old cockerel starting chasing one of the pullets around and mounted her (in the dark and the rain). Up until then I hadn't seen him express any interest in the girls. Once I got them all into the coop he mounted one of the hens on the roost bar.
    Everyone was cranky and squawky and I wonder if this behaviour had been going on all day. Then I noticed one of the pullets has a pecking wound on her head (maybe caused by stressed hens?). I have treated her with Vetericyn and Polysporin and put her in a dog crate.
    My question: is this normal for a cockerel? He seems to have gone from zero to 60 in one day and has clearly stressed out the flock. I also have a 3 year old bantam rooster who is very calm and so far, there has been no conflict between the two males. I did have to re-home this cockerel's father last spring because he suddenly got aggressive with the bantam. I'm hoping I don't have to re-home this guy as he is spectacular. Here's a pic of Levi.

[​IMG]

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

Hmmmm, he could have. One thing that can play a role in a roo's temperament is his father's temperament. If his father was a very "manly" roo, then he very well could have just figuered it out all of the sudden. Thta, or he isn't the brightest bulb in the box. I've had an EE roo like that, and he was a toal lap chicken, but always tried to be the tough guy. We had two boys to many at that point, and once he went to heaven, everyone started growing in all their feathers. If you notice that your hens are suffering feather loss from overmating, then I would either rehome him, send him to freezer camp or get a hen saddle for all of the hens you have, plus a few extras for when chicken math comes into play [​IMG]. If he got this enthusiastic this fast, then I'd assume it won't be long before he realizes Mr. Banty Roo is competion, but since he grew up around him, they might always get along; had that happen, too. He's a very handsome boy! Love the fancy little topknot (and you can tell him I said so)!

3. skullgrrrl

skullgrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    His father was very shy, lower in the pecking order and easily bossed about by the bantam roo. He mated with the hens but deferred to the bantam in most other ways. One day that all changed. The bantam had some injuries to his comb and was cleared scared of the cockerel (standard). I penned the cockerel for a few days and the first thing he did when I let him out was to go after the bantam. I found him a nice home on acreage with lots of hens and no male competitors.

The current cockerel was hatched from eggs I had in the spring. He's about 6 months old, been crowing a bit but until today I hadn't seen him try to mate with the hens. I just want him to be less aggressive and not create stress amongst the pullets and hens. I'm thinking the pullet got pecked by stressed flock mates.

He is handsome. His mother is a PB Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, his father a Silver Laced Polish - Easter Egger. He's got a great crest, muffs and a beard. I'm hoping he produces some interesting chicks (if I get to keep him).

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Aggressiveness can definitely be hereditary.....and he's just acting like most other young cockerels when their testosterone surges.
    Chances are the pecking wound is from the cockerel and not the other hens/pullets.
    Multiple males can create an environment of competition, making all the males behave more aggressively.
    Isolate that boy and give your other birds a break until you decide how to manage your males.
    My mother always used to say......Pretty is as Pretty Does....I'd get rid of that boy and not breed with him.

1 person likes this.
  5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Pen Levi up ASAP. He is probably coming into his courage (spurs also advanced for 6 months, even for 10 months) where he will not back down from a fight with another rooster. He will go after bantam and cause damage if latter cannot get away. Keep Levi penned for a few months until he settles down or make him not your long-term concern.

6. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Not sur ehwy any of you would give him away.He is just doing what young roosters do,I'd seperate him until he calms.

7. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

I wouldn't breed him either IF he keeps up the aggressive behavior. Maybe give the boys turns to hang with the ladies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by