Cockerel Biting Pullets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dogdollar, Jul 12, 2010.

1. dogdollar

dogdollar Songster

May 19, 2010
    All of my flock is young. The cockerel (Dominick) just got his crow together, and the girls (four barred rocks, five beautiful Production Reds) aren't laying yet. I notice here lately that Dominick is giving some of the girls a sharp bite on the back of their necks...and they in turn scream in pain (or just alarm; or BOTH). That is as far as it goes, so far, but I am wondering if this is a precursor to actual mating, and what to expect as they mature.
    Thanks very much !!
    DD

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Oh yes, the cockerels get in the mood way before the pullets do --- and the girls hate it. Not much you can do about it except separate them (if you want to).

A mature rooster who knows what he's doing won't mess with the pullets until they are just about to lay, but the young boys will attempt to mate with anything in sight. I remember someone on BYC who's cockerel had a "thing" for Dawn dish detergent bottles [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:It was a Palmolive bottle, but still hilarious. [​IMG]
    If they aren't drawing blood, let them work it out.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Dominick got his crow on, now he's working towards getting his love life on. Remember the possible progression I threatened in your last post. Dominick the Dominant takes on the flock master: Saga of aCockerel's Maturation. Stay tuned for further developments.[​IMG]

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    He's just being a macho man.

Our cochin rooster will sometimes creep up behind a hen, grab her by the neck, lift her, shake her, set her back down and walk away like nothing happened, meanwhile the poor hen just has a look on her face like "What was THAT?!" It's mainly a dominance thing. Our EE cockerel Twinkie is starting to peck on our Black Star pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by