Cockerel bullied

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jjdesmo11, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    E0DF463B-AD09-4F77-8701-230B1FE3D09B.jpeg E0DF463B-AD09-4F77-8701-230B1FE3D09B.jpeg 36710A4C-5CCB-4F45-A289-44326C459550.jpeg my 10 week salmon favorelle cockerel is being bullied by my other chickens. Added him with his 2 female “litter mates” and broody momma hen kept them in the coop the last 3 days ( I work 12 hr shifts ) and checked on food/ water at night. Last I saw him he was sleeping in the nesting box.. this morning I opened the coop to let them free range together for the first time and he was hiding and seemed “ lethargic” just sitting there. I offered food and water and he wouldn’t take any so I put him back in his chicken tractor. We have an established rooster and other cockerels. Our flock is about 20 total with 2 other cockerels. I know I will have to get rid of the other 2 but was hoping to keep our established rooster and this salmon favorelle cockerel. Tips? I was planning to put him back in the coop at night. Should I remove other 2 cockerels? I believe it’s the hens giving him trouble. He was a cocky little rooster before he learned the pecking order.

Attached Files:

2. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    He has the posture of a sick chicken, not a bullied one. I would remove him from the flock and place him in a crate to observe him.

I recommend giving him a thorough physical exam from top to bottom. Checks eyes nares and crop. Is he sneezing or have discharge from eyes, or nares? Look at his skin beneath the feathers for mites or lice or wounds. Examine his legs and feet for signs of injury, black scabs on feet and lifted scales.

Check his crop first thing tomorrow morning to be sure it's emptied overnight. Observe his poop for worms, color, and signs of blood.

We need a few clues as to how to proceed.

3. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    We dusted the chickens with permethrin when we put them together because we had mites. It was a week after our initial dusting when they were separate. Is it possible he injested some? Also sprinkled diamatous earth in the bedding. I have some electrolyte/ vitamin mix I will add to his water. And watch him through the day. I’ll check for the things you mentioned. Thanks so much. I’m worried about him

4. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Agreed he looks sick.... hiding and screaming and feather picking are signs of being bullied, hunching down like that ? He’s not feeling well

5. TxToxDoc

TxToxDoc Songster

Jan 10, 2018
    Missouri
    The other chickens may be bullying him because they sense he's sick. He looks unwell to me. In my experience with bullied roosters, none of them assumed this posture, but my sick chickens looked this way. Hope you are able to determine what his issue(s) may be and that he gets well soon. He's a handsome fella. Good luck!

6. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Which came first the bullied or the sick?? Good question !!

ButtonquailGirl14 and Jjdesmo11 like this.
  7. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I use DE too, but if that wind is there, it can be bad. I add it when they are not around, mix it and let it settle. I usually do at night, so it sits all night before they go near it.

8. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    You guys are life savers! I thought this was all pecking order related. Gave him some nutri drench and he’s been drinking water. Not eating yet. I’m off work all day and can keep and eye on him. If it was from the powder is there any tips other than food and water and separation?

9. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Greetings Jjdesmo11,

I agree with azygous, removal from the flock and a full exam is needed. TxToxDoc has also made a good point. It is common for a sick chicken, hen or rooster, to be harassed by the flock. It is the way they protect themselves from disease. He may not have anything infectious, but his posture does say, "I'm sick".

Also good supportive care is needed, if he is off feed, it's time to feed him some cooked meat protein, cooked egg, cooked mixed frozen vegies, cooked brown rice, hash browns, diced juicy fruits, greens etc. Balance the meals with a little of each thing.

If he won't eat, then, he is extremely ill. You may have to feed him manually.

Continue a dose of Nutri Drench for the next two days, this is beneficial.

Also a picture of his poop, will be very helpful.

If for some reason, he did ingest or inhale some of the permethrin, it is a low-toxicity pesticide that is easily inactivated in the mammalian and avian body. It is considered safe to use for chickens with mites.

Hopefully you can observe other symptoms, so that the members can figure out what is ailing your boy.

Do not return him to the flock until he is recovered. Then, yes you will have some decisions to make in regards to managing the flock.

These are my thoughts on you cockerel's issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless. :)

10. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    His poop is very worrying. After I separated him he drank a bunch and just now pooped. Making some hard boiled eggs w brown rice and bone broth to offer. What are your thoughts?

Attached Files:

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: