Cockerel? Cochin Bantam

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bunsnpupsnchick, Oct 7, 2016.

1. bunsnpupsnchick

bunsnpupsnchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Hi

I'm thinking this is a cockerel. It's either a gold laced or partridge. Either way, poorly marked. Total sweety, haven't observed behavior indicators & right now is in with a Polish cockerel & a couple of hens the same age with no issues. I just added the others to the polish this morning, they'd been separated for weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Definitely a cockerel.

3. bunsnpupsnchick

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Thanks. That's been my leaning, but no battle with the polish. When I'd placed another polish cockerel in with the polish before immediate cockerel battle. Plus, I've seen older cockerels mount this one. Which, I didn't think was normal cockerel dominance behavior. So, made me wonder just enough.

4. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Rooster but dosent look like a partrige
    I'm not sure of color.
    But he still,looks cute!
    Here's a pic of my young breeding gold partrige Cochin bantam.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  5. bunsnpupsnchick

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    He's beautiful! Only thing I can think of is either gold laced or the partridge with the markings that are showing. Plus, the color he has...I love it.

6. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Thank you.
    I hope someone will help you find the colour

7. bunsnpupsnchick

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    I'd change the header to this thread/posting, but it won't let me. So, I'm thinking I'll have to post again. If the markings were clearer that are showing that'd be a huge help! From what I can tell, the wings on gold laced & partridge are really similar that it's tough to tell them apart.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Cockerel, and he's likely mixed colors.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Beautiful cockerel

10. bunsnpupsnchick

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Thanks. I emailed the hatchery he's from with the pics to see what they say. I know they have gold laced, partridge, & red cochin bantams. Anything is possible. I'd love the red color in a solid bird...make me wonder if that's their red.
    Thank you.

Unfortunately, I've a lot of boys. 6 that are older & as of now from this group a blue cochin bantam, a birchen cochin bantam, mystery/poor marked red laced polish, white crested black polish, buff brahma, & a crevecoeur plus this guy.

I'm totally stoked on the crevecoeur as I've a girl & was wanting to work to keep the breed going & bring it back to where it should be. I ended up with a trio of buff brahma...so not sure about keeping them. The blue I was thinking of keeping with the self blue girls I have for now as I love those colors. The birchen I'm not sure of either. Right now the yard is balanced. So no pressure to get rid a cockerel. That can change I know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by