1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cockerel comb color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Little One, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    (say that 3x fast!) Anyway, I have a Rhode Island Red cockerel, and have noticed over the last few months that the tips of his comb will occasionally turn purplish/blue. Just the tips, and the next day it will be all red again. I would have guessed frostbite in the winter, but its not cold. Is it common, and if so what causes this? I attached a picture of him I took today.
    [​IMG]

2. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    Do a site search for purplish combs, you will find a lot of info.

Yesterday I noticed our BO roo's comb was purplish. I figured out that is from stress, today his comb is back to normal.

Dave

3. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I have no idea but he sure is a beauty! Does he free range? My only thought would be something he eats results in the colors changing on his comb.

4. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    They all free range during the day. Guess I could think of it like a mood ring on his head. At least I know it's normal now, thanks. (Not only is he handsome, but he takes care of his ladies. And doesn't attack us, either!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by