Cockerel coop

Lesjr883

Songster
May 10, 2018
South Mississippi
So this is what I have now:
6 - EE pullets (2 are 20 weeks old, and 4 are 11 weeks old)
2 - BCM pullets (13 weeks old)
2 - Silver laced wyandottes pullets (20 weeks old)
1 - Cockoo orpington pullet (22 weeks old)
1 - Black orpington cockerel (22 weeks old)
1 - Cockoo orpington cockerel (22 weeks old)
1 - Silver laced wyandotte cockerel (20 weeks old)
3 - BCM cockerels (13 weeks old)
Not one egg yet!!!!

I would like to re-home a few of the cockerels, but my little girl is just in love with them. Therefore i will be keeping more than one. I do not what to keep more than one of them with the girls. Can I put them in their own coop and run? Will I have issues with them fighting? Just really don't know what to do.

Fall maturing pullet generally lay a month later than expected averages. I wouldn't expect any eggs until 5 months of age or later.

Some roosters get along and others will fight. Give them plenty of room and see how it goes. I wouldn't keep more than one rooster with the pullets, and I probably wouldn't keep any until they mature more.

Fall maturing pullet generally lay a month later than expected averages. I wouldn't expect any eggs until 5 months of age or later.

Some roosters get along and others will fight. Give them plenty of room and see how it goes. I wouldn't keep more than one rooster with the pullets, and I probably wouldn't keep any until they mature more.

Thank you for the quick response. The cockerels are not real nice to the pullets now. I have not had much trouble with them, but they are very bossy to them.
Looks like I will be building a new coop and run this weekend.

My advice would be to put them out of sight of the rest of the flock. My experience has been that fighting is much more likely if they can see the other birds. Fighting may actually increase if visual contact can be made because of the additional frustration of never reaching the females. But males I've raised together often have gotten along just fine when there's nothing to fight over, so what you're proposing is certainly possible.

Thank you for the quick response. The cockerels are not real nice to the pullets now. I have not had much trouble with them, but they are very bossy to them.
Looks like I will be building a new coop and run this weekend.
I would observe which stag gets along with the pullets and mature hens. That would be the one to keep with them. One that will also stop the hens from fighting. Should turn into a good brood cock if he does all that as a stag

My advice would be to put them out of sight of the rest of the flock. My experience has been that fighting is much more likely if they can see the other birds. Fighting may actually increase if visual contact can be made because of the additional frustration of never reaching the females. But males I've raised together often have gotten along just fine when there's nothing to fight over, so what you're proposing is certainly possible.
There usually isn't a lot, if any fighting in a bachelor pad coop. If they don't have any girls around, they don't have much to fight over.

Back
Top Bottom