Cockerel crowing for 1.5 hrs straight?

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
I am not interested in culling, though hubs is certainly getting there.
Our 6-7 month old cockerel is crowing for 1.5-2 hours in the morning when we bring him outside.

We re-homed the second, late blooming, rooster who had just started crowing hoping it would deter his extremely long sessions but that rooster has been gone for a week now.

We keep him inside until 8:30 am which we are ok with and the neighbors appreciate.

But at this point we are struggling with 1.5-2 hrs straight. Even I am annoyed and he's MY rooster! DS and I just love him. The girls like him. He is a gentleman to all of his ladies. He is sweet when we bring him in and carry him out. I've enjoyed his company at night watching a show since losing my cat in September. No aggression has been seen as of yet.

My question is, can this be a young cockerel thing and will possibly calm down once matured and hormones level out?
I know there is no set rule about this and all roosters are different so I am not looking for any guarantees. But do some slow down in crowing once mature, mating, and secure in no competition? Crowing is fine. Crowing in the morning and throughout the day is fine. It's just the 1.5+ hr long morning sessions that are driving us (and I'm assuming our, so far polite and tolerant, neighbors) nuts!

Any insight and experience is extremely appreciated!

Thank you!

I believe it depends on the rooster. I have an OEGB that crows all day. He doesnt bother us because he is out side, but we laugh at birthday parties because he is constantly crowing. He is also a Bantam so not as loud. My Cochin Bantam rooster rarely crows during the day. I never hear him because he is so quite but I believe he crows from early in the morning to 8 or 8:30. Quite constant.

Let me just say to start with that I did not keep the roo I had, because it started displaying aggression towards my kids and I could not risk the chance of them getting hurt.

That said, he would not crow if I was quietly hanging out with the flock, but he would crow when I would come out, if I was doing things around the coop (like cleaning it out), if my dogs were let out, and almost constantly if my husband was out with me. My husband doesn’t spend much time with the chickens. My theory was that he was crowing to assert authority or if he was uneasy about something. He didn’t crow much when the flock was wandering around their run, which is heavily shaded by trees and mostly out of sight of aerial predators, though he did crow some. Not sure if that helps, but my two cents of experience.

I believe it depends on the rooster. I have an OEGB that crows all day. He doesnt bother us because he is out side, but we laugh at birthday parties because he is constantly crowing. He is also a Bantam so not as loud. My Cochin Bantam rooster rarely crows during the day. I never hear him because he is so quite but I believe he crows from early in the morning to 8 or 8:30. Quite constant.
Yeah, it make me smile and chuckle, for about 45 minutes, then I start to get worried about neighbors. At 1.5 hrs I'm out there yelling at him to shut up!
As for bantams I'll say that our tiny Serama roo was LOUD!! He was culled because of aggression but that boy had some lungs! Hahaha
Do you have other neighbor's that also have a rooster? Maybe your rooster is hearing them crow, so he start's crowing back?
We do have roosters in the area but not within a few blocks radius. I have considered this since I'm sure he hears what we cannot.
Let me just say to start with that I did not keep the roo I had, because it started displaying aggression towards my kids and I could not risk the chance of them getting hurt.

That said, he would not crow if I was quietly hanging out with the flock, but he would crow when I would come out, if I was doing things around the coop (like cleaning it out), if my dogs were let out, and almost constantly if my husband was out with me. My husband doesn’t spend much time with the chickens. My theory was that he was crowing to assert authority or if he was uneasy about something. He didn’t crow much when the flock was wandering around their run, which is heavily shaded by trees and mostly out of sight of aerial predators, though he did crow some. Not sure if that helps, but my two cents of experience.
Yes, he will crow if I'm inside the coop doing a deep cleaning. He seems to get irritated after about an hour of my presence inside the coop. He does not enter it though. The yard is ok for hours, even when they are free ranging. The dogs do not bother him at all. They stay away and he also sits on my lap at night with them by my side. The puppy is 145# and still growing and our mutt is 75# which I'm sure helps. He might be smart enough to know he won't win that one being a Silkie. Lol

When hawks are around he is quiet once he gets his girls to safety.

These are all great suggestions for me to watch out for! Thank you!

I just read a poster that was blasting her rooster with a hose or squirt gun, every time he crowed. She thought she was making him crow less.

I know you said no culling, but if he is driving you crazy, I am pretty sure he is driving your neighbors nuts. I love a crow of the rooster, but my coop/run are a long ways away from the house. I don't like a crow if I am close by.

Roosters are tough, and really hard in a truly backyard setting.

Mrs K

I just read a poster that was blasting her rooster with a hose or squirt gun, every time he crowed. She thought she was making him crow less.

I know you said no culling, but if he is driving you crazy, I am pretty sure he is driving your neighbors nuts. I love a crow of the rooster, but my coop/run are a long ways away from the house. I don't like a crow if I am close by.

Roosters are tough, and really hard in a truly backyard setting.

Mrs K
Fortunately, he has not had that long of a session for a couple days now. I am noticing though that he is crowing after doing the courting dance for a few girls and being denied repeatedly. Though a few hens have submitted I'd have to say the majority have not yet. Part of me is wondering if these crow sessions are him trying to show his girls how awesome he is. And he's having trouble asserting himself since he is so much smaller than most of the girls. But as long as they are getting shorter he will live to see another day. I do really like him 🥰 I am holding out hope that all the girls will accept him and with no competition he can then slow down. Thirty minutes or less at a time would be satisfactory for this doting mama 😁

Back
Top Bottom