Cockerel developing Crossbeak late

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Greenbelt, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Greenbelt

Greenbelt New Egg

Aug 21, 2016
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I know there have been a lot of posts about chicks who have developed scissor beak as chicks, but I've been having trouble finding information about it in older birds.

My young Rhode Island Red rooster, Elvis, has just within the last couple of days started developing a crossed beak. He is about four months old. He has never shown any signs of a crossed beak before. We had one little ameraucauna chick who developed one and I culled her when she was about four weeks old.

He is in a coop with eighteen non-laying pullets (they are also younger than he is) and after some initial health challenges with a few of them, the flock is healthy. Their feed is Nutrena Starter Grower. I give them access to grit and they get some occasional greens. He has been eating and growing well. They also enjoy an outside run during the day.

Is it normal to develop one this late? Is there anything I can do to stop it? Could it be something else? I know I can't breed him if that is what he has but I'd hate to have to cull him.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post a photo?

Usually cross-beak develops at an earlier age but it's possible it could be a late development.
    No chance there was an injury to cause it?

If it is caused by genetics, then you wouldn't want to use him for breeding. Keeping him around for pleasure would be an option, if you have the room and don't want to cull him[​IMG]

Here's some more info on cross-beak and some tips on care:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it.html
    http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2016/05/causes-and-treatment-of-scissor-or.html

3. Greenbelt

Greenbelt New Egg

Aug 21, 2016
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    It's a little more pronounced when he's in the yard but Elvis won't hold still long enough to get a good picture so I had to take it through the coop window as he was getting ready to settle down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Right now it doesn't look too bad.
    At some point in the future the upper beak may become too long and need to be trimmed/filed a little so he can pick up foods.

If he is managing well with it right now, I would leave it alone until you notice he's having trouble.

5. TWK777

TWK777 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2016
    Just trim it from time to time. one of my girls developed cross beak late and shes 8 years old right now. This is not a majorly serious problem, as long as you trim it and don't let it get out of hand. pretty rooster by the way [​IMG]

6. TWK777

TWK777 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2016
    Also if you trim it regularly it has a chance to get back on track. Just barely trim the end, not too much more than that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by