Cockerel got beat up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedIII, Jan 21, 2013.

1. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Hey all. So I just came home to an unpleasant surprise. I pulled one of my cockerels out of the coop and found that he has blood all over his head and hackles. It looks like one of the other birds got some good bites in on his comb and the back of his head - I think it may have been my young jake turkey, who is considerably bigger. Wasn't the other cockerel, because he's already separated with a similar wound

I tried to clean some of the blood off of the cockerel and put some neosporin on the worst parts of his wounds, then coaxed him to drink just a little bit of water. He's now in his own cage in the garage for the night, and I plan to keep him separated until he heals up.

Other than making sure his wound stays clean and he gets food and water, is there anything else I can do for him to help him heal? He looks like he's lost a fair amount of blood from his comb, as it looks deflated. He was acting kind of out of it when I was cleaning him up, and it's no wonder. I will not be happy if I wake up tomorrow and find out I'm down a boy [​IMG]

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    It sounds like you're doing what you can. How is he today?

3. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    can you just seperate the turkey instead of the rooster because they can recover in two days(normal wounds) and a week (bigger wounds).....you should keep him with the flock but seee for infections......

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California

5. XavCas

XavCas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    This happened to my pullet, except it was from the other hens. She is actually scabbing nicely and back to her old self. She just looks beat up. You are doing everything you can. Keep him seperated.. and fresh food and water. Make sure the cage is cleaned regularly too. This is what I did / am doing with her now and she should be fine in a coupole of weeks; same for him..

6. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Definitely do watch for infection. If the comb starts to change color or smell, he could have an infection. Good luck.

7. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Thanks all. He seems to be doing okay today, and I'm happy he made it through the first night. His comb still looks partially deflated, but he is acting perky. I did put some vitamins in his water last night, and he's being kept where the temperature doesn't drop below 50 degrees. He's getting plenty of food and water. I will keep an eye on the color of that comb and see if anything changes.

Michael Apple, I have three turkeys that are normally kept with the chickens, as they have been raised together and until now, I've really not had a problem with this kind of aggression. The jake has two hens, but he must think he owns the pullets, too, so he got booted out of their midst as soon as I saw the cockerel's condition. Call it a bad decision on my part to mix them, but live and learn, I guess. I will not be putting the cockerel back in with his ladies until he's healed up, just because I don't want them to see blood and peck at him. The same goes for the other cockerel, whose comb got bitten by one of the pullets last week, though nowhere near as severe as this. I think that being limited as to where they can go outside because of the snow has made them more irritable.

8. EEchickens

EEchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    im sure it was a animal who heard you and ran off

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you could put blukote on his wounds so the other birds don't notice or see blood. I think he seemed "out of it," due to shock or blood loss. Did the turkey have any blood around his face? I would keep him apart until the wounds heal a bit before putting him out with the flock.

10. EEchickens

EEchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    well last time a raccoon came to my house in the middle of the night and left a mark green mark on my hen's foot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by