cockerel has swollen cheek!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tobit, Jan 1, 2014.

1. tobit

tobit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    So one of my pekin bantam cockerels' cheeks are swollen up, it started a couple of months ago and it's just been getting worse. he has virtually no sight due to the swellings and tends to sleep everywhere, even on my lap happy for me to do anything with him (he wasn't tame when i got him!). The swellings are hard and look ready to burst; the skin is a normal colour but very stretched. He constantly has a runny nose and slimmy see through "goo" coming out between his eye lids which is also bubbly when you pull open his eye lids. he is eating and drinking as normal and his poo look the way it should. I bought him and two others as "hens" at a young age but they all turned out to be cockerels, so im not tooooo eager to take him to a vet. Any ideas??? By the way I live in England so i dont know if i can access the same medication as in the US..[​IMG]

2. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    First thing, I'm from England too. Secondly sounds like winter snuffles. Could be tracheitis. It is basically the chicken version of a cold. Put apple cider vinegar in his water and make sure he is getting enough to eat. A lot of my chickens et it at this time of year but it is usually not so bad. Picture would be great so I can see what it is.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  4. tobit

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    Okay thank you, i will try the cider vinegar seeing as we add that to the layers' water! Yes i'll upliad a picture tomorrow (too dark to take a photo now).

5. tobit

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    where can i get antibiotics like that?

6. maxpedley

Dec 31, 2013
    cider vinegar should be the only antibiotics you need

7. tobit

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    okay, how long till i will see an effect?

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - can you post pictures in the Emergencies forum.

9. maxpedley

Dec 31, 2013
    Shouldnt be long. A week at tops

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by