cockerel hates hens?

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
Hey everyone, in my last thread I asked about putting my new hens together with a lone cockerel and lone hen. I have tried introducing them in a somewhat open place and they had a few pecks but they are not fighting. Except that the roo hates them all. he tries to fight them all like other roos and even though they run away he keeps harassing them, not like in a roo to hen kinda way in a rooster to rooster kinda way. He clucks inviting them to eat but then attacks if they get close, puffing up his neck feathers and inviting them to fight. he will either peck or jump at them. after jumping at them he holds them by the neck and pins them and even though the hens bow thinking he wants to mate he just keeps them down and if they get up he will fight them again unless they run. He is a sweetheart to people though, as he was raised with people had didn't have other chicks around. He follows me everywhere and if I put him in the coop he will wait right outside the coop door. im thinking he does the clucking to try to get me to come as he doesn't do it if im not present. He also chases the hens away if they get too close to me, what can i do? any way i could get him to be nicer to the hens? the hens stay far away from him and are very scared of him, even if they submit he will still be mean to them.

Yes.
Sometimes....he is immature.
He sounds like a jerk if they are submitting and he just beats on them.
You might want to separate him and let the girls integrate.
How old are the girls?
around the same, although one of them is 5 years old

Immature pullets with an immature cockerel? I doubt that'd do well.
ohh never thought of it that way, thought it would be better if they were the same age. Alright ill seperate the cockerel for now, he was enjoying life as an indoor roo but thought he would be happier with the hens guess i was wrong (keeps following me back inside) although I might try introducing them again in a few months. If hes still mean might just have to be an indoor chicken.

First off, he needs to be housed in a see but not touch environment with the flock you intend to integrate him with. Chickens do NOT like strangers. Strangers are danger. Strangers must die! That is a chicken's mentality.
He doesn't sound like a bad cockerel at all. It sounds like you tossed him in to the wolves and he was forced to prove himself to ensure his survival. His reaction to being freshly introduced to a new flock, that sees him as a threat, was to PROVE his dominance; and he did so without drawing blood. What a good boy he is!
Reintroduce him in a month, after having lived in a see but don't touch environment; if he's still a raging hormone just looking for a fight, separate him for another month and repeat the process until he's about 8 or 9 months old.
Be aware, that chicken mating LOOKS like fighting too. He'll hop on top of the pullet/hen, grab her by the back of the head or neck by her feathers, wiggle his feet (and spurs) up under her wings (a chance of unintentionally hurting the female), and hang on for dear life. This typically is a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am affair. By human standards, it looks rough and harmful. By chicken standards, not so much.

ohh never thought of it that way, thought it would be better if they were the same age. Alright ill seperate the cockerel for now, he was enjoying life as an indoor roo but thought he would be happier with the hens guess i was wrong (keeps following me back inside) although I might try introducing them again in a few months. If hes still mean might just have to be an indoor chicken.
An immature cockerel will force his way into the pecking order, but the hens/pullets have the job of making sure he meets the requirements of a good rooster/cockerel by giving them treats, showing them the nesting boxes, etc. All while being nice.

Back
Top Bottom