Cockerel Humming?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EeshieKing, Nov 24, 2013.

1. EeshieKing

EeshieKing Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2013
    So we have what we have been thinking for a while now is a cockerel. He looks like one, kinda. Crested neck, tall, thin and he is Protective of our hens. Hes about 7 months now and he has never crowed. Today I caught him dozing off on the porch and he was making a low humming noise. I thought he may be snoring, but then I startled him, he ran and was stilling making the noise. Then I thought he may be practicing his crow? I don't know what to think. He is a strange fella, and seems to be a bit slow and stubborn. His name is Bird Brain, after all.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You could try posting pictures of the songster on the What Breed Or Gender Is This Forum to maybe figure out if you do have a cockerel on your hands. With mine, usually the practice crows sound pretty bad, less like humming and more like somebody is choking me or I have my leg caught in the fence.

3. EeshieKing

Oct 30, 2013
    [​IMG] Heres a pic

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    From that picture, at 7-8 months, I would vote that is a girl, I'm not seeing any rooster feathering etc ....

5. EeshieKing

Oct 30, 2013
    thanks. That would be awesome if so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by