Cockerel in Shock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Corona Ranch, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Corona Ranch

Corona Ranch Just Hatched

Jun 30, 2016
    Hey all!

I have a bit of a dilemma. I have 2 ten-month-old cockerels that have been getting along pretty ok (they tolerated each other). There was clearly a more dominant rooster (Lucius) that would chase the other rooster (Mr. Darcy) if he got to close to his girls. Apparently, yesterday, Mr. Darcy snapped and attacked Lucius into submission and I found him on top of Lucius plucking out his feathers. After separating the two and closing off Mr. Darcy in a shed, I looked over Lucius and checked for any injuries. Other than some missing feathers and a discolored, slightly bleeding comb he looked fine. But he was obviously in shock and just kind of stood around not really doing anything.

Today, Lucius' comb has some better color, he seems a bit more coordinated and is eating, but he's still not right. He wasn't crowing this morning and when I let him out with the girls He didn't make his usual rooster clucking noises and just went off on his own. And, when I gave him treats he didn't call over the girls like he usually does. He seems a little lost and is acting like my chickens, making soft clucking noises and just going off on his own rather than leading the flock. It's like he forgot how to be a rooster.

And, FYI, Mr. Darcy has been kept away from Lucius since the incident yesterday.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is Lucius going to be ok and go back to being a rooster? He was a really good rooster to the girls and has never attacked anybody. My roosters have never been aggressive to people or even each other other than the chasing around from Lucius, so I was really taken aback by this. We do plan on getting rid of Mr. Darcy now that he can't seem to behave himself with Lucius. So, if you are in the Tampa, FL area and looking for a rooster I have one to give for free!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Clucksworth12 likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Generally after a fight roosters will sit around looking horrible for a week or so. Since yours sustained a good pecking on his head it's possible he sustained something similar to a concussion. I would expect him to start perking up in a few days, but until then he feels horrible and very sore, so he won't participate in flock activities and may not eat for a few days either.

Corona Ranch and Clucksworth12 like this.
  3. Clucksworth12

Clucksworth12 Just Hatched

Apr 25, 2017
    Gordo, Alabama

Well one of my year old bantams was attacked by one of my older roosters last week. He to suffered a head injury and as of today is still basically out of it. I can pick him up and he was always a flighty not tamed rooster. He isn't bleeding or doesn't appear to have any external injuries. But I think with the head peck he has a concussion or so. With lots of love and care I'm hoping and praying both our dear roos will recover maybe never to be the same but still be alive! My roo does seem a little droopy though. I think they should be kept out of weather with a heat source in cold times. Hurricane Cindy is keeping me from my chickens right niwnso I can't check on my injured roo andy. I hope he is alright enough to seek shelter injured his box beocuse the whole place is flooding!

4. Corona Ranch

Jun 30, 2016
    Thank you for this! It's comforting to know that he'll eventually go back to being himself again. He's looking better, physically, and eating now.

5. Corona Ranch

Jun 30, 2016
    Thank you for the prayers! At least we know now this is "normal" after a fight. I hope your roo makes a full recovery! It's always sad to see our feathered babies hurt.
    And stay safe with that storm!

6. Clucksworth12

Clucksworth12 Just Hatched

Apr 25, 2017
    Gordo, Alabama

It is sad since I've raised him form a few days old! And will do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by