Cockerel is unwell. I think he's been stung

Grey Worm

In the Brooder
May 18, 2017
Hi guys. It is a Sulmtaler cockerel. About a year old. A couple of days ago his eye was closed, maybe he'd been stung near it and was having trouble opening it. Or could it have been a peck from another hen?
The good news is the next day he was opening it, looking with bot eyes the next day. But he still isn't 100%. Before he'd been running with the flock, crowing, if I'd throw bread he'd call the hens in to feed them. He was in his element. Although his eyes are back to normal now he has been off on his own for the past couple of days.
Anyone experienced anything like this? Any idea how long recovery could take? Most importantly, i there anything I could do to help him recover?

Was there any swelling in the eyelid when his eye was closed? Can you see any white or yellow gunk in the eye, or any debris, such as dirt or a seed? Some causes of eye problems are foreign bodies, infection, a peck wound, catatracts, or something like Mareks. Is the eye color and pupil size and shape the same as the other? Some good products for eye treatment at feed stores are Terramycin ointment and Vetericyn eye gel or eye wash, used twice a day. Saline eye drops are also good if there is no infection. Any gunk should be removed with a QTip.

Thanks,
Update now. He has been in his own A Frame for a couple of days. His condition seems to be getting better. Planning to let him rejoin the flock tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom