Cockerel lost half his beak

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
One of the cockerels in my bachelor flock lost half his beak. Im not sure if this happened today or yesterday. The bachelor flock are all very violent birds so I'm assuming it was from fighting, but could something else have caused this?

Attachments

• IMG_20201224_160019389_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201224_160019389_HDR.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20201224_160010365_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201224_160010365_HDR.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 15
It looks to already be healing itself. As for what caused it, sometimes running into a fence - that kind of thing can do it. Hard to know.

One of the cockerels in my bachelor flock lost half his beak. Im not sure if this happened today or yesterday. The bachelor flock are all very violent birds so I'm assuming it was from fighting, but could something else have caused this?
After I posted this thread I saw one of the other cockerls get grabbed and body slammed by his beak. So, I'm thinking that's what did it.
Agree, it looks like it's healing.

Sounds like the bachelor flock thing isn't working out too well if they are fighting a lot.
Consider separate pens and thinning out how many birds you have.

Agree, it looks like it's healing.

Sounds like the bachelor flock thing isn't working out too well if they are fighting a lot.
Consider separate pens and thinning out how many birds you have.

Agree completely- that kind of fighting in a bachelor flock (or any other flock) is not normal. Personally I would repurpose them for soup and find a different line of your desired breed that doesn't display that kind of aggression.

Roosters don't have to have females nearby to fight. If in a bachelor pen, that's reason enough LOL

Really? I was told they get along if there’s no females nearby. Kinda like guys just being friends with no girls in sight. Sure a small fight here and there to show whose boss but not to the point of injury?! But I guess I learned something new.

Back
Top Bottom