Cockerel LOVES being tucked in

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ashleymroles, Mar 23, 2016.

1. ashleymroles

ashleymroles Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016
    Cato, NY
    My new 7 week old cockerel really likes to be tucked in at night. He has an old couch pillow and a canopy made from a really soft blanket. He's still inside while we put the final touches on his and our six 5-week old pullets' coop. Every night I let him know it's time for sleep by flashing the light for a few seconds. Then I put him on his pillow and lay the canopy over him. I stroke his head and he makes a happy purring sound. Once he's asleep, I close the cage and turn off the light. Little Jerry Seinfeld (LJ) loves this routine.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my cute cockerel story.

[​IMG]

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Thanks for sharing! What an adorable story!

Enjoy your sweet baby boy now because he may undergo a personality change once his hormones come in around age five or six months.

Cockerels can be the sweetest chicks and end up surprising people when they decide they now need to be combative instead of their former sweet selves. He could very well continue to be sweet, but just be forewarned it can change one day.

3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    But she'll always have this super-sweet memory! Raging hormones can make a beast of the best of us ;)

4. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    What a sweet story! You should get a photo of him all tucked in, that would be fun to see.

Love his name, Little Jerry Seinfield! Good show and from that one I remember Kramer's line "That would explain the poor egg production", lol.

5. ashleymroles

Feb 15, 2016
    Cato, NY
    Thanks all!

@azygous, I'm keeping my fingers crossed he stays this sweet [​IMG]

@northflchick, I let DH name one of the chicks and that's what he came up with. I'm not a huge Seinfeld fan but I'll settle with calling him LJ for short.
    Also, where in north Florida are you? I was born & raised in Coral Springs (30 mins north of ft Lauderdale) and went to school in DeLand (45 mins north of Orlando) and DH grew up in Tavares (Lake county). We're in upstate NY now and I never thought I'd miss the Florida heat. Just booked a trip to FL for my lil brother's graduation.
    Anyway, here's a pic of LJ getting settled in for the night. I have a video of his little purrs, I'll have to figure out how to upload it.

[​IMG]

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    We're farther north, about mid-way between St. Augustine and Gainesville. Hey, if you want to come back, our house is for sale[​IMG] !

Your photo didn't come through, at least not that I can see.

7. ashleymroles

Feb 15, 2016
    Cato, NY
    I think DH would miss the snow too much if we ever moved back! He loves sliding around in his RWD pickup truck scaring the bejeezers out of everyone.

Anyway, the pic should work this time.
    [​IMG]

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Yep, there he is! Cute picture [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by