Cockerel mating with 16 week old pullet!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by marlene, Feb 14, 2012.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I have just seen my 23 week old cockerel mate my 16 week old pullet, surely that is not right for him to be mating her so young?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Surely, animals do what they do. If she squats for him? He'll do the deed. Short of separating your flock, there's little you can do. Young roosters are hormone driven.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Don't judge chicken morality by human standards. They are not human.

I've had pullets begin to lay at 16 weeks. It is really rare, but not unheard of. If she willingly squatted, it can be a sign she is about ready to lay. It does not absolutely mean she is ready. It's just one possibility.

The mounting and mating behavior is a dominance thing. I've seen an older hen mount a pullet in a flock that did not have a mature rooster. She was just demonstrating that she was dominant. There was nothing sexual about it at all, even if she did touch vents.

Don't read too much into it. I don't know why that happened with yours, but it is not that unusual.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yeah it's just normal stuff. I have a young roo topping a polish hen every day that is probably not going to lay for a while. She doesn't even get upset and even moves her tail for him. This has been going on for about three weeks now. There is no harmful physical contact usually unless she's really too small or he pulls on her comb too much.

5. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    As long as it is normal, that's fine. I thought they only mated when they knew the females were ready, like ready to lay or laying being a good indicator of their maturity, and this pullet is no where near laying yet, or so i believe.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX

Usually that's what happens but if none they can mount are close, those young ones will take what they can get.

7. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    He has 9 other ladies that are mature to mate with, i think he is just being very greedy lol

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sometimes the older hens don't appreciate a young rooster and smack him around, or just ignore him. He's not likely above their "level" yet, meaning social order.

9. Hyline

Hyline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Western Australia
    My rooster is 3 years old and still a filthy thing - he will mate with whatever he can get, as much as he can, including MY FOOT [​IMG] sounds a bit hippy lovechild but I started feeding him two pinches of chaste tree berry powder per day and he has settled down.

10. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK

I think that is the case with mine, anyone that stands still for long enough and his jumping on lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by