Cockerel near neighbours

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jackshens, Dec 14, 2014.

1. jackshens

jackshens New Egg

Dec 7, 2014
    Hello there im just wondering is there away you can slow a cockerel down crowing but not a painful way ?? Id love one to protect my hens thankyou

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Means I am aware of will compromise the rooster's ability to communicate warnings. Means include surgical and the restraints. Sometimes owing to local legal codes, keeping roosters is not advisable.

3. There is the no-crow rooster collar. It is a simple collar that just muffles the crow. There is no shock or anything inhumane. Everyone I know of who has used it has had success. I have no experience with them myself, as I don't live in a neighborhood.
    You can buy it here:
    www.NoCrowRoosterCollars.com
    They even have bow tie accessories if you want your boy to look fancy [​IMG]
    Roosters can still crow with it, it's just very soft. They can also talk and communicate, but again, it's very quiet. Once they have the collar, they are supposed to be quieter than hens!
    Hope this helps!
    Good luck!

4. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA

I'd be curious to hear from those who have used the no-crow collars if they affected the roosters's ability to protect the flock. I would imagine "compromise the rooster's ability to communicate warnings" would mean just that...is this from direct experience or otherwise? If they really do affect their ability to protect, then I suppose the rooster's function would be one more of show or as a pet.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

No proof either way here. Bet as a biologist that anything that degrades ability to communicate will also degrade ability to warn others.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The no crow collars take vigilance and adjustments and they can cause eating problems and deaths.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by