Cockerel not Crowing Yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Windy Lane, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Windy Lane

Windy Lane Chirping

Aug 5, 2017
    I have a 23 week old Blue/Black Orpington cockerel that has not crowed or announced when food is available for 27 hens. He is fighting with other hens and mostly chasing and fighting with our most submissive hen. He tried bumping me once but mostly will come running to me and I can pick up. FFED0AEB-5BC4-4671-A17F-F37AF87C85AA.jpeg Not sure he is worth keeping around. Any advice appreciated.

chrissynemetz likes this.
  2. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Grandkids and chickens, what more could you want

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    He's young, so he's still learning how to be a rooster. Give him a bit more time to figure out what he's doing. :)

Duckfarmer1 and Windy Lane like this.
  3. Chicken101-07

Chicken101-07 Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    He is still young,also if there is more cockerels with him,only the one in top of the pecking order will crow from what I've seen,if there is not,everything is done with patience :D.Hope this helps

4. MotherHen75

MotherHen75 Songster

Dec 18, 2018
    South Carolina
    I’ve had a bantam cockerel crow at nine weeks, and my rhode island red rooster nearly took a whole year. I think bantams mature faster, the big guys take a while though. Just give him some time and he’ll blow your ears off soon enough.

chrissynemetz and Duckfarmer1 like this.
  5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :love Ok so I'm partial to Orpingtons ... He is young but so very handsome. Having had mostly Orps in my years of chickens, give him a couple more months. Orps are slower to mature but so worth the wait :love

chrissynemetz likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: