1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cockerel Not Crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by michellekris, Dec 23, 2015.

1. michellekris

michellekris New Egg

Dec 23, 2015
    VA
    Hello all! New to the Backyard Chicken Forum.
    I have 3 hens that were hatched late March and about a month ago added a cockerel who was hatched early August. He is a Welsummer who has yet to crow and has bumps where his spurs will come out. The girls and him were introduced gradually but since he was just a tiny fella, the girls put him in a submissive position. He is now almost as big as them but still very submissive to them. I got him for more protection (I lost my 4th hen to a hawk the week before I got him).
    I was wondering when he may become more rooster like!?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]He is the second on the left.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He's still a kid. He will find his mojo when the testosterone kicks in. Understand that in most instances the only protection a rooster provides is as a warning alarm; although, a large rooster may attempt to take on a hawk.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like he's not more than 14 weeks old. He is still just a kid. In a few more months he will start to get more rooster-like as the hormones start kicking in.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x3

It will take awhile for his hormones to kick in, usually around 5 to 6 months, and then it will take a bit for the higher matrons to take him seriously. The lower pecking order girls will submit first, but the higher order girls will take a bit longer to convince. In time he will strut his stuff, have a few tussles with the more dominant hens, and slowly establish himself as lord and master.

I also agree that he won't protect from hawks but only alert. The best protection for hawks I have found is bird netting....lots of it....and possibly an alert dog.

LofMc

5. michellekris

michellekris New Egg

Dec 23, 2015
    VA
    Thanks! He is getting tall but still lanky and runs away from the hens. I've heard a honk out of him, that's about it. I have a Great Pyrenees who is a great chicken guard but he isn't outside with them every moment, so we needed a backup... or at least something that can alert us to an issue if the dog isn't out there.

6. TrialandError

TrialandError Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    SW Florida
    I have a mature Welsummer cockerel and he doesn't crow either. I've had him almost a month. Maybe he is still just shy.

I think yours will crow before mine lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by