Cockerel Not Crowing

michellekris

Hatching
Dec 23, 2015
VA
Hello all! New to the Backyard Chicken Forum.
I have 3 hens that were hatched late March and about a month ago added a cockerel who was hatched early August. He is a Welsummer who has yet to crow and has bumps where his spurs will come out. The girls and him were introduced gradually but since he was just a tiny fella, the girls put him in a submissive position. He is now almost as big as them but still very submissive to them. I got him for more protection (I lost my 4th hen to a hawk the week before I got him).
I was wondering when he may become more rooster like!?

He is the second on the left.

He's still a kid. He will find his mojo when the testosterone kicks in. Understand that in most instances the only protection a rooster provides is as a warning alarm; although, a large rooster may attempt to take on a hawk.

x3

It will take awhile for his hormones to kick in, usually around 5 to 6 months, and then it will take a bit for the higher matrons to take him seriously. The lower pecking order girls will submit first, but the higher order girls will take a bit longer to convince. In time he will strut his stuff, have a few tussles with the more dominant hens, and slowly establish himself as lord and master.

I also agree that he won't protect from hawks but only alert. The best protection for hawks I have found is bird netting....lots of it....and possibly an alert dog.

LofMc

Thanks! He is getting tall but still lanky and runs away from the hens. I've heard a honk out of him, that's about it. I have a Great Pyrenees who is a great chicken guard but he isn't outside with them every moment, so we needed a backup... or at least something that can alert us to an issue if the dog isn't out there.

I have a mature Welsummer cockerel and he doesn't crow either. I've had him almost a month. Maybe he is still just shy.

I think yours will crow before mine lol.

Back
Top Bottom