cockerel not fond of chick

LeggyLeghorn

Songster
May 2, 2019
Co. Waterford Ireland
It seems to me that my cockerel, 10 months old SilkixPolish, has it out for one of the chicks. The chicks are 6 weeks old, SilkiexPolish. The chick, the youngest so perhaps it is 5 weeks old, seems healthy to me. The chick is generally fine within the flock.

This happened this morning: I caught the cockerel, Harrison, going after the chick over food with the chick keeping a perimeter distance when the rest were going after what I threw down for them. Harrison keeping an eye on the chick and the chick keeping to himself away from the others eating.

Early indication of things to come? Find a home now before it gets ugly for the chick?

IMG_0627.jpg
IMG_0625.jpg

in this brief clip, the chick is the little black one in the background, skinny neck.

Early indication of things to come? Find a home now before it gets ugly for the chick?
Hi there. :frow

In the video.. chick looks like it's avoiding you more than the cockerel.

That being said... I MIGHT put my cockerel in a time out (in sight) and allow him to gain some maturity. But I would re-home (or eat) a chick bully before I would worry about re-homing a chick that hasn't been booted from it's mum yet.

A little peck for pecking order is no big deal and chicks often quickly learn to avoid certain flock members.

But if it turns into an attack on a chick that young being raised by a broody in the flock and not JUST introduced, regardless of gender... he would take a long hot bath with some aromatic veggies to cool his jets here. :drool

Good roosters will protect chicks, call them to treats, and rear them. Cockerels are a bit to hormonal to know how to act all the time. ;)

thank you for the sound advice:)

In the video.. chick looks like it's avoiding you more than the cockerel.
In the little clip, it was more to show the little fella.

Good roosters will protect chicks, call them to treats, and rear them. Cockerels are a bit to hormonal to know how to act all the time. ;)
good point. he is 10 months old so maybe he is just getting himself sorted out. He IS without a doubt very good at his job in terms of the flock. He is on top of it all, and constantly on the look out.

This was a thought I had, but a cockerel may figure it out as he matures. And is the little one being injured? That's where I draw the line.
the little one is not injured. he looks good. no indication of something amiss.

do you have things in their area that they can hide under or behind?
because i do not let them out of the run at 7 like they would like, even 630, every day, when I go out to let them free range they are busting to get out of there and there are a few feathers flung about. I will take your good ideas and re-arrange the run for some duck and cover and some hanging distraction. it would probably be best if i were up and out at 7 faithfully, but that's not going to happen:p

Possibly the chick is a cockerel too, Harrison may know this and is just being dominant so it knows whose boss. I would set up at least one more feed water station on other side of the area that way the one that keeps getting chased of an any lower ranks in pecking order can get proper feed and water without being harassed.

do you have things in their area that they can hide under or behind?
sometimes if they don't have enough room or they get to bored they can be mean to each other a branch tied up with rope for a swing might help with that but would need to be just like feeders. with all that it's more like a jungle gym for them they can hide if they need to or get distracted playing around
If you have some place you can hang corn or a lettuce head that is a good diversion for them too

Possibly the chick is a cockerel too, Harrison may know this and is just being dominant so it knows whose boss. I would set up at least one more feed water station on other side of the area that way the one that keeps getting chased of an any lower ranks in pecking order can get proper feed and water without being harassed.
thank you for that good advice. going out there now with a second water feed.

Back
Top Bottom