Cockerel or hen? (With Better Photos)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cherlyn, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Songster

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    This one is a mystery to me. "His" friend is a female; they are both light sussex. They were both born in the first week of Feb. The female just started laying eggs this week.

So, male or female? I can take better photos if necessary.

Edited to say: no crowing yet (though he does encourage his lady friend when she is laying), and no spurs that I can see.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

~Cherlyn

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Can't help you with the sexing but GORGEOUS bird!

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I'm going with female. What breed are they? I'd like to say columbian rock, or delaware but the leg color is throwing me off.

4. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Songster

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Oh, sorry! They are light sussex.

~Cherlyn

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I'd have to say hen also.

6. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Oh of course! I didn't even think of the sussex! Very pretty and quite large! [​IMG]

7. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Songster

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Quote:Oh of course! I didn't even think of the sussex! Very pretty and quite large! [​IMG]

They are HUGE! I was not expecting such a large bird, and I have FIVE more chickens (all buffs) to put in the coop with them when they get older! Never gonna fit!

~Cherlyn

8. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:You're from England! I was just about to ask where you got such nice stock! [​IMG] Here in the States they are not even comparable, perhaps show stock comes close but I've not had the pleasure of seeing any at the shows I've atteneded.

I bet your buffs will be beauties too. Are they sussex as well or orpingtons?

From your additional photos you defintely have two lovely sussex ladies. [​IMG]

9. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Songster

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    I say thank you on their behalf. [​IMG]

They are such a beautiful docile birds... especially the one I was wondering about! The other one is a bit skittish, but still fairly tame. They are both light sussex. We also have two buff orpington chicks, a buff lav mix (I think), and two eggs in the 'bator due to hatch early next week.

Just living England "temporarily", until 2013. Wish we could stay here. Maybe we will, and buy a big place and have lots of animals. [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

10. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Songster

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Hope Omelet (the one in question) starts laying soon! [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: