1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cockerel or Pullet? 15-17 weeks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lynyrd66, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Lynyrd66

Lynyrd66 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thought this was a pullet....always,then about 12 weeks she sported a comb and seems to be standing her ground against the other cockerels. Late blooming cockerel? Or gutsy hen? She's very cute but not as friendly as my Welsummers or my Orpington. Actually, not really as friendly as my Silver Laced Wyandott Cockerel. Most likely a bit of a mix. Something with Cochin, has feathers all the way down to the feet. Not crowing with the other cockerels yet-no eggs.
    [​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Hmmm...at 15 to 17 weeks of age, I'm thinking probably just a pullet coming into maturity.

I'm not seeing any saddle feathers or tail drape.

I am seeing some shiny feathers in the hackle...which could indicate roo but not always as some hens have those too especially in some breeds (like my Buff Orpingtons)...but the comb, while developed, is not really that large and still well within a maturing hen size and the wattles are quite small yet.

So for all that..pullet coming into maturity. If that is the case, then she has a bit of a hormone load giving her some attitude especially if the roos are sensing she's maturing but she's not in the mood yet which may be why she is fiesty with them.

My thoughts.
    Lady of McCamley

3. Lynyrd66

Oct 20, 2013
    Thank you for your response. I am glad to hear another mixed reaction. I feel better about being so confused. LOL

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Solid coloured hens should have shiny hackles, especially if they are healthy - but they should be rounded.

I think this one is more questionable. I can't really tell if she has pointed saddle feathers by the picture.. Her comb is not suspicious at all.

The only thing that throws me off is I just can't see clearly in the photos her feathers...

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I personally find a difference in the shine factor between roos and hens. The roo's have much shinier feathers, and yes spiky, in the hackles that feeds back light really well to a "sparkle"...a flashlight at night can help see the difference...which is what I am seeing in the photo (from the flash?)...what may be the flash of shiny spikes. Some breeds of hens have that shiny spiky look too in the neck hackles...in particular my Buff Orpingtons. In other breeds, the hen's hackle has a matte type gloss of healthy feathers but not a clear sparkle that picks up so nicely on flash or flashlight. Those hens generally have those rounder neck feathers (which diffuses the light more), but as I said in some breeds the hens can have some shiny "sparkle" spikes too (not as many or as big or as developed as the roo will get eventually, but enough to throw you off as they mature).

So shiny spiky hackles feathers is not a done deal for a roo, so you look for others signs.

Your bird has the body shape of a Cochin or Orpington and the difference between roo and hens are more subtle in those breeds (particularly the Orpingtons of which I am familiar). The roos in these breeds don't get the long familiar sickle tail feathers but more of a shiny, spiky cascade of feathers at the tail. I find I have to wait to see if those shiny spiky saddle and tail cascade show up...which usually takes longer to develop.

So then you look at the comb. Your bird's comb doesn't scream roo...it actually looks more hen like.

I'm thinking hen especially at 15 to 17 weeks the roo comb and wattles should be noticeably big and red by then...and probably crowing....but of course nothing is totally certain in the chicken world and sometimes you simply have to wait for a crow or an egg.

My thoughts
    Lady of McCamley
    EDITED for spelling/grammar :p

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  6. Lynyrd66

Oct 20, 2013
    Hakiles are pointy and shiny. Doesn't show up well in pics because so white. No saddle feathers

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Oh yes, the male would definitely have more shine to the feathers. Just saying hens/pullets should as well - especially solid coloured birds. Less so with white though... I notice it most in Black, Red and Buff birds.

8. Lynyrd66

Oct 20, 2013
    So, we butchered the other 2 roosters and I now have 4 hens and maybe 5 depending on this one. Coach is approx 18 wks now. Still no crowing, still no eggs. Starting to get some orangish feathers in the body--I think he/she might be mixed with buff orpington. Still bossing everyone around, but hey, somebody has to be the boss, right? I should post more pictures when I get the chance.

9. [​IMG]Poor roosters, they didn't chose to be males...... (sorry I just have to say my opinion sometimes)

10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    My first reaction to the pictures is rooster. I think I see some curved saddle feathers in the one picture, but its difficult to be sure. The stance and face just look cockerel to me.

It's possible this one could turn out to be a pullet, but at 12 weeks, I'd say that a lot of comb for the type of bird he/she is. Also, those breeds tend to be late bloomers, which is why I'm guessing this one isn't a glaringly obvious rooster just yet.

My bet would be rooster though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by