1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cockerel or Pullet...4 Week Old French Black Copper Marans

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cmitchell, May 3, 2013.

1. cmitchell

cmitchell Chillin' With My Peeps

My 4 wk old French Black Copper Marans chick. Is it a cockerel or pullet? Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  2. ellieseggyeggs

ellieseggyeggs Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    wirral
    hi looking at your photos i think the chick is a cockerel as i hatched maran chicks and the pullets came out with tail feathers and i notice that at 2 weeks

3. Rays Chickens

Rays Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2014
    Vail AZ
    I have a question about FBCM. I know they are highly prized. I have a rooster baby, and will next year start a flock of likely 30 pullets and 2 more roosters. My question is do most folks raise them to breed or for their beautiful eggs. If I raise them for their eggs I don't need the Roo's. I am new to the chicken world and am totally taken by the birds. I also have ( separate coop and Yard) Jersey Black Giants to start breeding.
    Thanks
    Ray ( Rays Chickens)

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I think most folks raise them for the eggs but if you do a breeding flock you can sell the offspring for more money than most other breeds since they are in high demand.

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I'm leaning toward cockerel, but it's a little early to tell for sure. Very nice pictures by the way!

6. KHoward

KHoward Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Boston
    What did it end up being?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by