Cockerel or Pullet (and Breed?)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jkoester, Oct 11, 2016.

1. jkoester

jkoester Just Hatched

Jul 8, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Are these pictures good enuf to tell if this is male or female? And maybe what breed? : ) Thanks!!

2. SS Funny Farm

SS Funny Farm New Egg

Sep 19, 2016
    Oklahoma
    It looks to me like a Black Copper Maran and with the length of his tail feathers probably a male.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

My closest guess would be black copper marans. But I don't think so since those don't look like feathered legs. [​IMG] Also, possibly pullet depending on age.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

It's marked more like a black copper Marans, but could also be a black sex link. Marans usually have feathered legs, but not always.

Two good ways to tell....

Marans have white skin. Sex links have yellow. Best place to tell skin color (on a live bird [​IMG]) is the bottoms of the feet.

Egg color. If she's a Marans, she should be laying dark brown eggs. If a sex link, normal light brown.

2 people like this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

6. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Agree with @donrae

7. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    I say Black sex link/Black star pullet going though a molt on her tail feathers that is getting ready to come out

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Black sex link would have been my other guess. But sex links are the birds I am least familiar with at this point. With so many agreeing, those are your likely suspect breeds. How old?

9. jkoester

jkoester Just Hatched

Jul 8, 2016
    Sorry I forgot to say how old, 18 weeks. I'll keep an eye on her color of her eggs (if I can tell who laid what) in a couple weeks! Can't wait. Unless she's male :( :( And I'll look at the color of her feet too. Thanks everyone.

10. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Black Sex Link pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by