Cockerel or pullet and breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tryingtohaveitall, May 25, 2010.

1. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I've posted about these birds in the past, but now that they're getting older, I'm eager to hear opinions. The first group were supposed to be buff orps, but some (several) have dark brown feathers in their tails. Otherwise, their legs are white and they do seem to be bo's. Are they a mix? (btw, I do know this one's a cockerel. :>)
    [​IMG]

What about this one? His/her comb isn't as developed as some, but more developed than the others. Cockerel or pullet?
    [​IMG]

Lastly, I'm pretty sure this one's a pullet but what is she? She came from a straight run bin at TSC.
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Jo Ann

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The ones you got as buff orps may be just pet quality or they could be crossed. The bird in the second pic is a cockerel, and the one in the last pic is a red sexlink pullet.

Great photos, what kind of camera did you use?

Edited for spelling.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think the first two pics look a bit like New Hampshire Reds...the third, well, perhaps it's got some RIR in there.....

4. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Quote:Darn, I was really hoping that one wasn't a cockerel also. Boo. That means I have probably 6 or 7 cockerels out of 15. Oh well, DH and I originally agreed on getting 6 and I bought 16, so I guess I'm still ahead. [​IMG]

The camera is a Nikon D40 and I was using my 80-200 lens. It's a base level DSLR but I love it!

Jo Ann

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by