1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cockerel or pullet? how to tell

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blueheaven, May 1, 2009.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    when is the earliest you can detect if you have a cockerel or a pullet? what are some of the signs/characteristics.
    i have one whos tail feathers are different and bigger!

2. minifarmgurl1

minifarmgurl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    indiana
    what kind of chicks are they?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    For most breeds, the secondary sex characteristics start to show themselves between four and six weeks. If your chicks are at least that old you could post some pics and we'll try to help you out.

4. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Quote:I agree. The first sign I usually notice is a larger and redder comb.

5. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    they are only 2 weeks.
    but one is just really different!
    i have 2 black australorps and it is one of those that are different.
    thanks.
    will wait and see!!!

6. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    if the comb is yellow at 2 weeks will it TURN red at 4-6 weeks if a roos? and stay yellow if a pullet?

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:The pullets start getting some color to their combs and both develop larger combs, it just happens younger in the cockerels.

8. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I went through this last year even though I bought sexed pullets. They can make mistakes when sexing them and I was horribly worried I had a roo on my hands before I was ready to have one. It was just really difficult for me with the BA's. My other chicks this year are proving somewhat easier, though there are still a couple that keep me wondering.

9. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    I have been able to tell around four weeks by their feathering! The male's backs will be just about bare and the "wing bows" are naked, but the pullets will be pretty much feathered out. The comb usually has a bit more pink on it than the girl's do, too. I've been able to tell 1st by the comb and then confirmed by the feathering. Good luck... you only have a couple of more weeks before you can tell. I'm not a good judge on the tail feathers, however some people are!

Here is the excerpt from another thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=162401

Quote:Edited to add: Ha! I didn't realize Gritsar had posted on this already! Gritsar has posted a lot of useful information, I've used the infomation above to accurately determine that I have had *way* more cockerels than a person should ever have! Thanks!

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  10. swimmer5555m

swimmer5555m New Egg

Mar 17, 2011
    So I bought two pullets but one seems to be growing a comb and some tail feathers both are in this picture. Can someone give me advice as I am not quite sure
    [​IMG]

thanks
    Scott Novell
    wiltedleaf.com

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by