Cockerel or pullet? (orpington)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hopless500, Aug 20, 2014.

1. hopless500

hopless500 New Egg

Aug 20, 2014
    I have a nearly 4 week old chick from a blue splash Orp cockerel and blue Orp mother. She unfortunately died on the eggs, and just this one hatched :(
    It's quite a feisty little thing, with not much going on in the tail department, so I have a horrible feeling it's going to turn out to be a cockerel. The comb has been tiny and pale right through to the last couple of days, since when it's got a little bit pink. There are tiny tiny developing wattles, but to me they look even more pink/red. Which makes me very suspicious. But this is the only chick I've ever dealt with, so basically I have very little idea!
    Any comments would be very welcome :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Little early to know for sure, but I'd lean toward a rooster.

3. LotsA Cluckin

LotsA Cluckin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    Walling, TN
    It is no doubt a boy. I have been breeding and raising orpingtons for nearly 4 years now and he is all boy!

4. LotsA Cluckin

LotsA Cluckin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    Walling, TN
    Orpingtons are very easy to sex in my opinion and I can sex them with 95% accuracy by the time they are 2 weeks old! Some say you never know with Orps until they crow or lay an egg but I guess since I have raised 120+ Orpington chicks in the last 4 years I know what to look for

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Yep, that's a cockerel.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Almost certainly a cockerel. Cockerels tend to develop larger redder combs earlier, and they feathers in slower.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a cockerel to me, with that comb and slow feathering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by