Cockerel or Pullet? SLW chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by edenrice, Nov 24, 2016.

1. edenrice

edenrice Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2016
    Hi everyone, I'm new to backyard chickens, and thought this would be a great place to ask for helpful information. I was just wondering if my 10 week old SLW pullet is actually a young rooster. I bought a few different breeds from mypetchicken.com understanding that there would be a chance of some roos in the bunch. I just wanted conformation, thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Lovely pullet!

~Alex

3. edenrice

Nov 24, 2016
    Thank you!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'd be guessing that was a cockrel.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd say that red at that age....cockerel.

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

On the laced varieties, the boys get solid color blocks on their wings and the girls get nice lacing.

That is looking like a pullet to me. [​IMG]

Funny, with the mixed bag of reviews you got, any better of a clue than when you posted ?! [​IMG]

ETA: In my flock the redness comes and goes. Do you have any other Wyandottes to compare waddle size with?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    LOL truths!

That redness coming and going can drive you nuts...I see it more older tho, nearer to POL.

@edenrice got any pics of all your SWL's at about 5-6 weeks?

8. edenrice

Nov 24, 2016
    Hmm.. My only other SLW has much more symmetrical laced patterns (no blocky white areas). And no @aart ): sorry bout that, no younger pictures! Here's a comparison to the other SLW if that gives you all any help deciding :)

[​IMG]
    (The chick NOT in question of being a cockerel is on the right, giving us a wonderful photobomb [​IMG])

[​IMG]

9. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

If the chick in question is the bottom pic, that is a pullet.... that is nice lacing.

Notice the difference in this link? http://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com/is-my-chicken-a-rooster/

10. edenrice

Nov 24, 2016
    Sorry for any confusion, but the last two pictures I added were both the chick not in question of being a rooster. I'm almost certain that one's a pullet - I just uploaded pictures of her for a comparison.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by