1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cockerel or pullet? Who is the mama?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eatbluefood, Jun 12, 2016.

1. eatbluefood

eatbluefood Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    These are between 6 1/2 and 8 1/2 weeks old. The father is either polish or silkie but the mother could be marans, orpington, isbar, or isbar mix. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We are pretty sure the first one was fathered by the brightly colored frizzled polish rooster.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Half silkie, but is the other half marans, isbar, or orpington? Maybe polish? Or just impure silkie?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

what color are the possible mamas?

3. eatbluefood

eatbluefood Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    I wish I knew. When I went to pick up the chicks, I only saw one hen which was light brown, darker than a buff orpington, though. I did see both polish roosters, a brightly colored frizzled one, and a white crested black. The silkie rooster is paint or splash.

4. eatbluefood

eatbluefood Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    Ok, I've been doing some research. And I went to the house where I got the chicks. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think to get a splash colored chicken, you have to cross 2 splashes or a splash and a blue. There were only 3 roosters; a splash silkie, a frizzled brightly colored polish (who has 5 toes) and a black crested polish. There is no splash hen there, so the mom of the splash chicks has to be blue. The only options would be a blue Isbar or blue Isbar silkie mix.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by