Cockerel or Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Santa Walt, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Santa Walt

Santa Walt Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    Here are three pictures of my first Delaware. It was hatched Jun 11, 2010. I have thought it was a pullet for a while, but as its tail feathers get longer and curve over, I'm beginning to wonder. Of course I will find when enough time has passed, but this is my baby that I don't want to eat, but . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell for sure or do I just wait?

Thanks

2. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    I'm guessing, strictly a guess, but, looks rooish to me.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Trust me, you have a rooster. See my avatar? Delaware hens don't have barred tails at maturity, they have tail black, black feathers edged in white. Males are colored differently from females in that regard.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cockerel. Good sized comb and waddles, prominent saddle feathers (see how they're very pointy?) prominent hackle feathers (draping down the neck) extra red skin around the face.

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Santa,,,,ya got yourself a roo!!!! Look at the bright side, with that bright red comb he could pull your sleigh!!!!

6. Santa Walt

Santa Walt Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    Thanks for all your inputs. I am disappointed in a way, but I was planning on keeping one rooster so I guess it will probably be this one. I'll just have to wait and see. The possibility of a substitute for the sleigh does sound good![​IMG]

7. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by