cockerel or pullet??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Donald_Barton_III, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Donald_Barton_III

Donald_Barton_III New Egg

Apr 19, 2011
    Hello!

I am new to this site and to raising chickens. I have been reading alot about their care lately, and had planned on getting my first set of pullets next month. We had an early arrival, however. last week a young girl approached us with a young chicken that her parents would no longer let her keep. I work at an urban agriculture project in Baltimore, MD called Baltimore Free Farm. In our city, you can keep four hens, but no roosters. I have not found much information about determining the sex of a young chicken, so a friend suggested this site's community. Unfortunately, I can't seem to post any pics of the bird bc I am a new member. Can anyone help?

2. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    [​IMG] i think you have to have more posts to be able to put pics up. i am in baltimore also. where is baltimore free farm? i may have to check it out. i am new to chickens so i can't answer your questions. sorry. good luck

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Hi, and welcome to BYC. Sorry about the picture posting thing, but there were problems with spammers. If you have a photo bucket or flickr account you can post the url and we can go look if your album is public. Or you can email it to me and I will post it for you. Determining sex depends on the age and breed of the chick. Sometimes you can tell by the comb,which grows faster and redder on a cockerel. The cockerels will grow in pointy hackle feathers (around the neck), and longer pointy saddle feathers (in front of the tail). The pullet's feathers are more rounded.

4. jenjscott

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    here you go

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Donald_Barton_III

Donald_Barton_III New Egg

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks, Jen!

I have been looking online at pictures of young Rhode Island Reds, and I THINK it is a pullet. I really need to be sure soon, though. As I said, roosters are outlawed in Baltimore City, so I will need to find another home soon if it's a male! Any help would be appreciated!

6. jenjscott

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I'm thinking pullet also, not sure, but the little cockerels seem to grow that comb out awfully fast. I have been raising mostly pea combed buckeyes, so haven't been looking at too many single combs!

7. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    It's a Red Sex Link - common names are Golden Comet, Comet, Cinnamon Queen. Abbreviation on BYC is RSL.

And yes, she's a pullet [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Looks like a pullet to me. I've had pullets with bigger combs before they were that feathered out. [​IMG]

9. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i'm thinking girl she looks like my red girls and [​IMG]

10. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    Girl! And Welcome to chicken ownership... 4 bird cap huh? I predict you'll be an outlaw soon enough!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by