cockerel or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cassada2604, Jun 18, 2011.

1. cassada2604

cassada2604 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Can you tell the sex of this Buff Orpington? This one is about 3 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thank you for your help.

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Id say roo, what with the comb size and coloring. sorry [​IMG]

3. cassada2604

cassada2604 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    That is what I thought. This one is much bigger than the other BO. This one is also a little more aggressive. Almost like it is trying to keep the others in line. Anyone have a Buff Orpington rooster? Are they docile and quiet for the most part?

4. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Looks like a boy, very cute!! [​IMG]

5. chickens friend

chickens friend Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    Southwest virginia
    I can't tell exactly what it is, I never can tell 100% until they either crow or they don't any way. My sister had a very large Buff Orpington rooster that would chase her around the lard and terrorize her, but I believe it was because she was afraid of him. I was at her house one day and that rooster came at me trying to bully me around so I grabbed him and brought him right up to my face and stared at him for a few seconds and then let him go and he ran off and has never messed with me since(can't tell you why that works I guess it makes them learn that they are not the boss). The rooster though was very protective of the hens and for the most part was no more inclined to crow than any other rooster I have been around. If you have the stomach for it you could vent sex?[​IMG]

6. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    if you could post some body pictures that may help. i had a pullet who looked rooish in the comb when she was about that age and older....but somehow i just knew she was a girl....her body looked henish (smaller and shorter legs.....plenty of tail feathers). in my experience, the roos feather out slower than the pullets....and the look gangly in the legs too. of course this isn't 100%. i also had a pullet that looked fine in the comb area but had rooish legs..... [​IMG] but i guess by the pic that you posted....i would guess roo

7. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I say it's still to early to tell. If the comb gets redder and larger as it gets older, than I'd lean towards roo. But hey, ya never know.

8. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    I'm leaning toward roo, my 4 week old BO pullets do not have combs that large or colorful.
    and my BO rooster is not nice at all. He is great at protecting the hens, but everyone else has to be careful of him. However he is hatchery bred, so if your BO is from a breeder that places emphasis on how the orpington is suppose to behave, I'd expect him to be fine.

9. SoFluffy

SoFluffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    My WPR's comb looked almost exactly like that when it was young and it still kinda does now and she's a female. Chicks that are aggressive doesn't always mean their male but for this little chick, I can't be too sure [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by