Cockerel or Pullet?

Marcymom3

Songster
12 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Western Howard County, MD
Hi, everybody!
frow.gif

'Thank you for all the great information, BYC is a really awesome resource! I am new to raising chickens. After 30+ years, was finally able to wear my husband down and we got some this spring. They are doing great and I'm really enjoying the experience. Two years ago I would have laughed at anyone who suggested I would love chickens, but I certainly do. And it looks like I'm in good company! Does anyone have the formula for Chicken Math? I have eight now. Will I have 64 by next year?
love.gif

Can anyone help me figure out if this is a boy or girl? (S)he is almost 18 weeks old and the largest of my flock. The first out of the coop in the morning and the last to go in at night, (s)he is becoming famous for flying up to the top rail of the fence in the yard when they are ranging around the yard. I haven't heard any crowing, and I guess it is a little early for eggs. Just curious. I will be keeping her either way because (s)he is the friendliest of my eight. I also have a Rhode Island red that I am thinking might be a boy because it's tail feathers look different and it might be getting some shiny greenish black feathers around the neck. That one won't stay still long enough to get a picture.
barnie.gif

Many thanks for your help! Marcy

Picture below is Mr or Ms Cagney.

94948_cagney.jpg

I'm new to keeping poultry also, and had a similar dilemma over the weekend. From the pic, I would say it's a Mrs. Cagney! But that's just the opinion of a newbie so don't read to much into it! :p

In relation to your RIR dilemma, have a look at the pics of mine from this post https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=566940. If they look similar to yours, you have a rooster on your hands.

Hope this helps! :)

Definately looks like a hen. There is no formula for chicken math. I started out with 4,bought some more, bought an incubator, hatched out a bunch and got up over 60. After processing I am back down to 27 and plan on hatching out more starting again in January. I must be nuts or really bad at chicken math. lol Gotta love my chickens though. Every night they go on roost I go out and pet each and every one of them so my chickens know they are loved.
love.gif

by 18 weeks a rooster would have cackle feathers and be attempting to crow at the least. i'd say she's just the dominant hen, pretty girl

Quote:
Hopefully I will get better at distinguishing boys from girls. Never had that trouble before, of course, never tried to tell with chickens before either.
lau.gif

Thanks for the compliment. I think she is pretty too!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the input. My RIR doesn't have as much comb and wattle as yours, but her tail is looking very similar! I guess time will tell on that one.
smile.png
Where all three of yours roosters? And if so, did you keep them all?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom