cockerel or pullet??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jenanneray, Sep 27, 2011.

1. jenanneray

jenanneray Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I need your opinions. Are these boys or girls? The daddy is a black australorp and the momma is a barred rock ,which should be a black sex link, correct? Here's a pic of the 2 chicks in question:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They both look very similar to each other, so hopefully I didn't post the same chick. These hatched out with a white spot on their head, and another chick (not pictured) hatched out with no spot (all black) and have the same parents. (the no spot chick is a month + younger so doesn't have the feather development these 2 do so I can't really compare.) They were hatched on aug. 8th.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    They are roos. Black sexlink barred=rooster, black= hen

3. jenanneray

Mar 2, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    Ok thanks. That's what I thought. My husband thinks theyre hens because of thegrowth rate compared to their hatch mate behind them (the black one.)

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Nope, you're right on. The solid roo and the barred hen give barred cockerals and solid pullets. Makes sexing easy-peasy!

5. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    The other posters may very well be correct but they don't look like cockerels to me. Especially not at this age. I'd expect a 7 week old boy to have much more pink in the comb and wattles.

Are you sure of the parentage?

6. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    My marans look like that.

7. jenanneray

Mar 2, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    Quote:Yes, I only have one roo, and the egg they came out of matched the others that I've got from this particular hen. None of my other hens are barred (well, that were laying, the cuckoo marans was broody at the time.)

8. Rodeoclown1189

Rodeoclown1189 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    East TN
    they are pullets and they could be from your delaware hens since delewares too have the barring gene

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    1st pic is a roo the 2nd is a hen oh and the black one is a roo to [​IMG]

10. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Quote:I agree that the black one is a roo but the 2 barred ones look like pullets to me.

I'm not a genetics whiz but would a BA roo x BR hen = sex-links? If so, the results appear to be exactly opposite of what one would expect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by