cockerel or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Happy0Sarah, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Happy0Sarah

Happy0Sarah Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

any help would be appreciated!!! :)

also, on a side note, the mother hen keeps attacking the white chick. Can anyone help me understand why? It NEVER attacks the other chick. Just the white one...?

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    How old are they? and do you know what breed(s) they are?

its possible that she doesn't like the white chick, doesn't recognise it as part of the flock etc or she could be putting it back in its place as it maybe disrupting the pecking order

1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X2, how old & what breed are they, they are getting fairly pink combs. Sounds like the white chick might be challenging its mother, some chicks do get pretty pushy and won't keep their distance if she is trying to move them on.

1 person likes this.
  4. Happy0Sarah

Jul 21, 2014
    they are about 7-8 weeks old and they are a mixed breed (black silkie mixed with ameracauna and easter egger).

I'm assuming the chicken doesn't see it as part of the flock because it keeps going against specifically the first chick. :)

5. Happy0Sarah

Jul 21, 2014
    they are about 7-8 weeks old and they are a mixed breed (black silkie mixed with ameracauna and easter egger).

that would make sense.... the first chick keeps trying to stick with the mother but the mother hen won't let it. Maybe that's why it's so aggressive toward the chick?

6. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    At this stage its a bit hard to tell but from the lack of combs/ wattles I'm thinking girls, however I could be wrong as its hard to tell at this age ( especially if they have silkie in them which are late developers)

1 person likes this.
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

They both look like pullets. Sounds like momma's trying to wean them and one chick is being more resistant. I've had momma hens have to get pretty forceful to wean chicks from time to time.

1 person likes this.
  8. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Looks like the white is a cockerel!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by