1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cockerel or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by laurarose, Mar 2, 2015.

1. laurarose

laurarose Out Of The Brooder

I've posted this chicken before on here to see if she was a puller or not, got many people agreeing that's she's probably a pullet.

But now a month on I'm pretty sure she is a he! He/she is 6 months old now.

Let me know what you think!

He/she is a black Orpington cockerel crossed with a dark buff Columbian brahma mix

[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi Laurarose

Seeing a picture of the whole bird from the side, rather than just a head shot would be helpful. Although if it is not crowing at 6 months old, unless you have more dominant male birds which are causing it to suppress it's voice, then I would expect you to see an egg laid quite soon.

Regards

Barbara

3. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    That's a pretty small comb for a 6 month old rooster so I say you have a pullet

4. laurarose

Sorry i meant to add more but phone was playing up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't ever heard her crow or attempt to, the only cockerel she is housed with is her dad who does chase her sometimes (only seen him do it twice). Her behaviour has seemed to have changed - she's the last one out of the coop and often hangs around inside when the other are outside.

I think I can see saddle feathers at the base of the tail, but maybe I'm wrong. Also the hen has a pea comb so would that affect the size of this chickens comb?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  5. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    It looks to be a cockeral..
    What is his attitude like?

6. laurarose

Quiet, very tentative at times but very friendly. I think she/he's bottom of the pecking order. She used to be very quick to come out and see what treats they were getting or to get out and forage but she seems and lot more wary of everything.
    Also yesterday when all the chickens were outside free ranging she was one her own for 90% of the time choosing not to follow the others.

7. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Yes I think I see saddle feathers too now that you have posted more photos. Maybe just a shy, very late developing cockerel. Some of them just keep you guessing until the last moment. I'm going with cockerel too.

8. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    The cockeral likely is shy to come up and fight,which reflects on him.If he doesn't hirey soon,a dominant hem will take place and they will fight.

9. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Odd little bird. Head says pullet. Booty says cockerel.

10. laurarose

Yes he/she is getting me so confused!

We were convinced for a long time that it was a pullet from her behaviour and comb size/colour but more recently the shape and size have completely thrown that out the window.

He was our first and only chick to hatch and thought we'd be so lucky but whatever he turns out to be, we will keep him - woulda been nice to get some eggs though[​IMG]

If anyone else has an idea it would be much appreciated!

Thank you to everyone so far

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by