Cockerel overly aggressive when mating.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by K813ZRA, Jul 6, 2016.

1. K813ZRA

K813ZRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    So I have two flocks at home and one is starting to mature as the hens have started laying eggs and the Cockerels are attempting to mount the hens. Well, I have one that not only mounts the hens but the other cockerels. He does not seem to have the hang of it yet as some times he gets the head or mounts sideways or what have you. Anyway, that is not what I am worried about. This is my first time with roosters so I am not sure if the following is normal or not but it does not seem to be. When attempting to mount his hen he will grab her by the neck or the tail and remove feathers. He will continue to do this while trying to mate. He seems to be overly aggressive with the hens in this sense. I have three other cockerels so a few are going to the dinner table soon. As the others do not act like this I am guessing he is a likely candidate for crock pot.

Anyway, is this sort of behavior normal for a juvenile rooster or is it too aggressive?

Thank you.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It's not unusual for a juvenile, but still, a nicer boy might be a better bird to keep. Mary

3. K813ZRA

Mar 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you or the response. I was kind of thinking along those lines. I have one that is very protective of the hens but not abusive and it is friendly with my wife and I. For example if I pick up a hen he gets a little unhappy, he does not attack but you can tell he is upset. However later he will still take some kale from my hand.

On another note. As I said, I have two flocks: One flock is mixed which has RIR's, Black Australorps and Barred Rocks. I find that overall the RIR's are more aggressive in both hens and roos. My other flock is only 4 weeks old but I love them a lot. They are, for the most part very friendly Buff Orpingtons that greet me every day when I feed them and perch on me and eat out of my hand. I do have one roo and one hen that are a little iffy of my hand going in the grow out pen.

Anyway, I guess I will keep one of the BA roos. Thank you again.

4. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I like to keep multiple cockrels, and watch them grow up. I make a selection in fall, and then again in spring, to reach the real 'keepers'. Nasty boys all go! Mary

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some young roosters are too vigorous, their hormones are flaring up and they are just following the urges. I would remove that young rooster until he calms down and matures a bit before deciding his fate. Mary is right though that nasty boys should go.

6. K813ZRA

Mar 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    So is there an average age that you would suggest making the selection at?

I can give that a try, thank you.

7. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Right now my youngsters range in age from three to thirteen weeks, and so far all the boys are fine. I expect that to change over the next couple of months! The pullets won't be pleased, my two adult roosters, and the hens, will continue to correct their stupid behaviors, and we'll see. I've had a cockrel that was attacking me at eight weeks of age, and he left early! This spring I rehomed a very nice cock who was getting beat up by another very nice cock; neither were human aggressive or nasty otherwise, but only one could stay. They had been fine together for nine months! Flock dynamics are part of the fun of having birds, and selecting the keepers is part of management. I don't keep any bird who's been ill in the breeding group either; good health is important. I value longevity and broodiness too. Mary

8. K813ZRA

Mar 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you that gives me a better idea for a time line. Speaking of chicks that attack, as I said I have one in my group of Buff Orpingtons that started out a little fiesty. I already had a thread about that, he has gotten to the point where be bites a hold of me when I reach in to feed the chicks. I have tired the methods that others have suggested for correction and that worked for a few days but he is back at it...I think I am going to put a band on him and keep my eye on him!

9. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    i dont see why you would give him up yet.He still so young.

If I were you I'd wait until about 7 or more months old to decide whethef he should go....This guy could make a perfect rooster one day.

10. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    The only thing I would add is that removing what is probably the top cockerel, may change the behaviour of the previously well behaved less dominant ones. It might just be worth creating a bachelor pad for all the boys until they are past that horrid juvenile phase and give the pullets a chance to mature unmolested and then reintroduce each male bird individually in 6 months time or so and see which one has the better manners then.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by