Cockerel pecking at mother hen and chicks

It seems to just be a bad case of getting to know each other, if no one is getting seriously hurt, then time should be enough to solve the problem, it could be that both the hen and the chicks are new so he would be acting like this either way. But yes going back to the nursery seems like the best option.
Thank you for advice

Great stuff. I would be concerned that if you took out the mother and babies, then you are just back to square one when you try and put them back in. At least the other hens have accepted them so that is most of the battle won already. You don't want to set that progress back.

I would take him out at night to sleep somewhere else as someone else said, for at least a week. He needs to be taken down a peg or two and removing him will do that. He can run with the hens in the day, so long as he behaves. I would watch carefully in the day and as soon as he chases or pecks, remove him and crate him for an hour.
He can sleep in the nursery, that will bring him down the peg 👍he goes in there anyway before he goes into coop, all I have to do is close the gate :)

Great stuff. I would be concerned that if you took out the mother and babies, then you are just back to square one when you try and put them back in. At least the other hens have accepted them so that is most of the battle won already. You don't want to set that progress back.
Yes that's exactly what I don't want to do, I'll lock him in the nursery tomorrow night and let momma and chicks into the coop with the other hens, how many nights will I do this for before I let him back into coop because it would be very difficult to remove him once he is in the coop, hes difficult to catch in the barn and reaching into a coop would probably be impossible to grab him with the roosting bars and other hens momma and chicks in the way....

thanks I know how to get him out if the behaviour starts again, I'll gently direct him towards the door from the back of the coop with a stick, this worked for me before but I cant remember why I had to do it 😊

Last edited:
Yes that's exactly what I don't want to do, I'll lock him in the nursery tomorrow night and let momma and chicks into the coop with the other hens, how many nights will I do this for before I let him back into coop because it would be very difficult to remove him once he is in the coop, hes difficult to catch in the barn and reaching into a coop would probably be impossible to grab him with the roosting bars and other hens momma and chicks in the way....
I have a way to get him back out of coop if the behaviour starts so this seems like a good plan

Good luck and let us know how it works for you.
I will definitely let ye know what happens and thanks so much, I have got great advice and solutions for my issue, I know this will work, hes never been seperated from his precious hens and coop so it will be a shock for him, hes very attached to his hens and usually when I tell him off for minor things which is extremely rare he listens but he knows when he is in the coop hes out of my reach but he better think again because I wont put up with his bad behaviour, after all I'm the top hen and I need to reinforce that with him... I know how to deal with him now thanks again :)))) and thanks to everyone who replied because reading yer replies has opened my mind, I think I now know because its only happening in the coop its him saying this is my coop and I want you and your chicks to leave, I just couldn't understand why it was only happening in the coop or when momma went near the coop when it was time to roost other than that he wasn't bothering them.

Back
Top Bottom