Cockerel Pecking hand

xx Georgina xx

Chirping
6 Years
May 29, 2013
Hello,
I have a cockerel in my coop (King), a apart from I am extremely scared of him and I really don't like him.
I have hatched him, this year and all he has done is pecking my hand.

I have not handled any of the chickens or him for a while, I have only just picked them up today.
I felt very confidant around king as well until he pecked me which is getting to the point when I really need to stop him from doing it!

Can you give me some tips thanks x

Here's a picture of him from October the 6th, he is a bit bigger now and a lot more feathers (he's the small Pekin)

Last edited:
Hello, Sorry about your rooster problem. I have had roosters to attack me in the past. The way I have cured the problem is by keeping a close eye on them and if I notice them starting to act as if they were going to attack me I will kick them or swat them with a stick. Watch closely after swatting, because they just might retaliate. Swat again! Eventually he will learn that he is not the leader of the coop, you are. I know it sounds cruel, but you need to establish who the leader is and the way roosters decide among themselves is by getting physical. Good luck! I have never had a rooster who was too bad to keep after using this method.

Last edited:
Pecking your hand.... That sounds like he is looking for food. Not a typical attack position of a rooster... Usually they kick or charge (flog).

Stop sticking out your hand. He won't bite your hand if he can't get to it.

If you used to feed him by hand, this is very typical behaviour.

My hens really hurt me when I put my hand out without food. ;)

Pecking your hand.... That sounds like he is looking for food. Not a typical attack position of a rooster... Usually they kick or charge (flog).

Stop sticking out your hand. He won't bite your hand if he can't get to it.

If you used to feed him by hand, this is very typical behaviour.

My hens really hurt me when I put my hand out without food. ;)

Hello,
He is not looking for food, he knows where it is.
I only pick King up to put him into bed otherwise my brother may loose him (die)
I used to hold his head down so he wont nip my hand and now he is very fast and a job to get hold of.
If I give him food by hand he would bite my hand and I know that because I gave my older chicken Spikey some food by hand and she really hurt me.

Hello,
He is not looking for food, he knows where it is.
I only pick King up to put him into bed otherwise my brother may loose him (die)
I used to hold his head down so he wont nip my hand and now he is very fast and a job to get hold of.
If I give him food by hand he would bite my hand and I know that because I gave my older chicken Spikey some food by hand and she really hurt me.
So he is only doing it when you put him to bed?

If so, I don't think this is something to worry about. Roosters do not understand why you are picking them up like that.

If he is not seeking you out to attack, I would just not pick him up - or if you have to, use gloves.

Back
Top Bottom