Cockerel question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by juliejohnson805, Nov 10, 2016.

1. juliejohnson805

juliejohnson805 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    Central Alabama
    I have 3 EE cockerels around 5 months old. 2 of them are starting to show signs of trying to mate...I think. They will grab a hen by the neck and kinda sling her around a little. Not too agressive.....they dont try to get on backs yet. One of them hasnt started crowing yet and is not showing any signs of being ready. In fact, he prefers to be alone and is quite the loner while they are free ranging. Due to getting more cockerels than hens when I purchased, I only have 3 hens (2JG and 1 EO) that are the same age, but they were not raised together. I realize this may cause problems. I have 16 chicks that are 3 weeks old that are supposed to be pullets. I am hoping that this situation might correct itself in the spring. [​IMG] Don't things slow down in the winter?????

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Maturing roosters will continue to mature and will actually become more obnoxious. It would be best to separate out the boys so your pullets can have some peace. As daylight increases in early spring things will get a bit worse before them finally starting to calm down a bit in late summer. Most roosters take a good year before they become good roosters. Some are good from the start, your job is to remove those who can't behave themselves in a fairly decent manner until the mature.

3. juliejohnson805

Aug 24, 2016
    Central Alabama
    Do I need to seperate them now or in the spring? About seperating them, I am understanding a completely different run and coop. Can they still free range together some?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I separate out young roosters as soon as it apparent that they are causing enough trouble to cause stress. I actually have pens inside my chicken shed where roosters can spend months if necessary. I keep them where they can interact through the fence and still be a part of the flock. Letting them free range with the hens would still give them opportunities to harass the pullets. I have kept roosters penned separately for about a year before integrating them back into the flock. Most of my young roosters need about 6 months.

5. juliejohnson805

Aug 24, 2016
    Central Alabama
    Thanks this may actually solve another problem. If I remove the cockerels to the attached run and coop then I'm thinking it might make for an easier integration for the chicks in a few weeks. Might be easier on the older hens and the chicks. Thoughts?

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Yes, get them young boys out of there. Some can be bad with chicks. I would integrate chicks and hens, than down the road pick a rooster or two to add back. But I would probably add one back and keep two boys together if you are interested in keeping them all.

7. juliejohnson805

Aug 24, 2016
    Central Alabama
    Thanks! So much to learn! It's like having kids the first time!! [​IMG]

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, it is....or like getting a sip of water out of a firehose.

Sounds like you have jumped in with both feet.
    Seriously consider getting rid of all but maybe one of the boys.

I'd section off part of the coop and get the chicks out there now.
    Lots of ways to integrate chicks....popular opinion was wait until they are same size, but younger is becoming the new norm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by